Pre-employment assessments, like work samples, cognitive ability tests and job knowledge tests, are good predictors of job performance. These assessments can be administered quickly and easily through well-designed software.
Here’s a list of 10 of the best recruitment assessment tools that will help you select qualified candidates to interview and hire:
The Athena Quotient (AQ) evaluates candidates’ judgement, based on the idea that good judgement is what makes people effective at their jobs. Once candidates have completed the test, you instantly get a report on results.
The Berke Assessment is a customizable test measuring personality and intelligence. With Berke, you can also build “hiring profiles” – lists of desirable behavioral traits and problem solving abilities – and compare each candidate’s results against them.
Codility is a tech recruiting platform that supports coding challenges and online technical interviews to help you evaluate Programmers. Use Codility to create tests, evaluate candidates’ code and connect with the best candidates.
HireSelect® by Criteria Corp
HireSelect is a testing platform that provides online pre-employment aptitude, personality and skills tests (e.g. typing, MS Office.) These tests are designed by Harvard psychologists and help you assess candidates more objectively.
HR Avatar offers simulation-based, pre-employment tests that measure various factors like cognitive ability and job knowledge. The tests are animated, instead of text-based, and simulate real job situations (e.g. responding to a disgruntled customer.)
Saberr offers a way to assess cultural fit. This tool uses data and analytics to determine whether a candidate has values similar to your team. Saberr also predicts whether that candidate could get along well with each individual team member.
Sales Assessment by the Objective Management Group (OMG)
OMG is well-known for its sales assessment, developed by the company’s founder and CEO Dave Kurlan who is an expert in the field. OMG offers assessments for a variety of sales candidates, including Salespeople, Sales Managers and VP of Sales.
Skillsarena offers psychometric assessments and tests for many skills and competencies including intelligence, communication, numeracy and computer skills. This tool also has specific tests for industries like retail, housing, logistics and finance.
TestDome provides a platform where you can customize programming tests for any coding language or technology, and create your own exercises. You can also choose general tests, like numerical and verbal reasoning. TestDome evaluates the candidates’ code and answers to help you make better hiring decisions.
Wonscore from Wonderlic
Wonscore is a pre-employment testing platform that assesses candidates for motivation, personality and cognitive ability. The system produces scores for each of these three factors and one unified score (“Wonscore.”) You can choose from a variety of industry- and job-specific tests that best match the role you’re hiring for.
Workable’s all-in-one recruiting software integrates with assessment tools to help optimize your hiring process. Start a 15-day free trial today.
How to choose the right tools
There’s a vast selection of recruiting assessment tools, from those that offer multiple cognitive ability and personality tests to those that are specialized for particular skills (e.g. sales, data entry.) How do you choose? Apart from analyzing costs, reading reviews and getting recommendations, here are a few things to keep in mind when picking assessment software:
- Think about what you want to test for. If your company wants to test candidates for intelligence, personality and reasoning, tools that provide all these tests meet your needs. If you want to focus on testing for skills for particular roles, it might be best to look for specialized tools, like code evaluation platforms and typing test tools.
- Ensure the tool’s design will appeal to candidates. Candidate experience is important to your employer brand. Tests that are cumbersome, difficult to understand or not challenging enough can undermine your candidates’ positive impression of your company.
- Ask about integrations and API. Assessment tools that integrate with your ATS will save you a lot of time and effort. But, even if your recruitment software has no formal integration, a tool with an effective API can integrate seamlessly with your existing systems.
- Look for tools that provide the right reports. Some companies may need a tool that will test candidates, evaluate answers and present the results. Others prefer tools with extensive reporting, analytics and recommendations. Think about what works for your company and choose accordingly.
How to use recruiting assessment tools
Assessments are quantifiable and more objective than other recruiting methods (e.g. unstructured interviews.) But, keep in mind they have their own limitations:
- Candidates sometimes perceive personality tests as intrusive.
- Some tests can be discriminatory and violate non-discrimination laws.
- Skills tests assess current knowledge but not ability or willingness to learn, which are often more important on the job.
Using pre-employment assessment tests to hire the best candidates is good practice, but only when combined with other recruiting methods. When you have selected the right assessment tool, use it along with structured interviews to hire more effectively.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial