This Sales Representative job description template covers the key qualifications, duties and responsibilities of a sales rep and it’s easy to customize.
Learn more about:
What is a Sales Representative?
Sales representatives are responsible for communicating the benefits of a company’s products in order to drive sales. Sales reps serve as the point of contact between a business and its prospects or clients and have a range of responsibilities including identifying and educating prospective customers while supporting existing clients with information and assistance that relates to products and services. Qualifications often include strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as a Bachelor’s degree in business or related fields.
Sales Representative duties and responsibilities include:
- Selling products and services using solid arguments to prospective customers
- Performing cost-benefit analyses of existing and potential customers
- Maintaining positive business relationships to ensure future sales
Hiring a Sales Representative? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We’re looking for a results-driven Sales Representative with excellent interpersonal skills to actively seek out and engage customer prospects.
What does a Sales Representative do?
You will provide complete and appropriate solutions for every customer in order to boost top-line revenue growth, customer acquisition levels and profitability.
- Present, promote and sell products/services using solid arguments to existing and prospective customers
- Perform cost-benefit and needs analysis of existing/potential customers to meet their needs
- Establish, develop and maintain positive business and customer relationships
- Reach out to customer leads through cold calling
- Expedite the resolution of customer problems and complaints to maximize satisfaction
- Achieve agreed upon sales targets and outcomes within schedule
- Coordinate sales effort with team members and other departments
- Analyze the territory/market’s potential, track sales and status reports
- Supply management with reports on customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities, and potential for new products and services.
- Keep abreast of best practices and promotional trends
- Continuously improve through feedback
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Sales Representative
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Familiarity with BRM and CRM practices along with ability to build productive business professional relationships
- Highly motivated and target driven with a proven track record in sales
- Excellent selling, negotiation and communication skills
- Prioritizing, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to create and deliver presentations tailored to the audience needs
- Relationship management skills and openness to feedback
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Sales Representative do?
- A Sales Representative handles fulfilling existing accounts, obtaining new ones, and following a daily work schedule to adequately ensure the satisfaction of their customers throughout all purchase levels. While managers handle creating plans and managing inventory, the Representative helps that inventory reach the right customer’s hands.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sales Representative?
- The Sales Representative is responsible for selling products and meeting customer needs while obtaining orders from existing or potential sales outlets. They ensure that the customer is satisfied and adequately taken care of while making a purchase. This way, they can establish new accounts for their employer.
- What makes a good Sales Representative?
- A successful Sales Representative should interact with others in a friendly and approachable manner, helping maintain positive relations between customers and suppliers. They need to have good time management skills to stay on task when they should be.
- Who does a Sales Representative work with?
- Sales Representatives collaborate with Field Sales Representatives, who help deliver products and services to customers outside of an establishment or from the comfort of their own office. Each is responsible for ensuring a customer’s satisfaction.