This sample of Sales interview questions will help you evaluate candidates’ skills and hire the best salespeople for your company. These sales interview questions are customized for different levels and positions, including sales representatives, inside sales coordinators and sales managers.
Sales Interview Questions
Sales teams are pillars for companies that want to grow their profitability. From sales consultants, regional sales managers, field sales representatives and call center agents to sales executives and account managers, sales goals are common: to promote your products and services, meet sales quotas and identify new sales opportunities.
When hiring salespeople for your company, look for candidates who showcase specific traits. Those traits can include a customer-oriented attitude, excellent communications skills and a drive to meet goals. Regardless their seniority level, salespeople should be able to perform well in a team environment and collaborate with different people.
When you’ve found that your candidates share these core qualities, tailor your questions to identify who would make a good fit for your specific job. For entry-level positions, it’s important for candidates to understand your company vision and the products or services you sell, otherwise they may not be enthusiastic about selling your products. If you’re hiring account managers, you should ask questions that allow candidates to showcase their negotiation skills. As for senior level sales positions, test candidates for leadership abilities. Inside sales interview questions should focus on technical know-how and communication skills.
Sales interview questions examples for every role
- Have you worked with Salesforce.com? What other CRM software do you know?
- Are you familiar with market analysis? What is it?
- Walk me through a successful sales process. What is your role?
- What information do you need before communicating with a client?
- Describe a situation where you failed to reach a sales goal. What happened and what did you learn from that experience?
- Describe a time when you collaborated with your team to close a deal. What was your role in the process?
- What is more important: achieving quotas or keeping clients satisfied?
- When do you stop pursuing a customer, and why?
- What are some common hurdles you face in this position? How do you handle them?
- What do you find most rewarding about working in sales?
For entry-level sales positions
- Describe your experience in retail.
- How do you ensure all customers leave satisfied?
- Are you familiar with our products? Which one would you most enjoy selling and why?
- How would you handle a customer who complained that they couldn’t find a product in your store?
- What’s your flexibility in working different shifts?
- Describe a time when you managed to calm down an angry client.
- What do you do if you didn’t know the answer to a customer’s question?
- This job can be repetitive. How do you stay motivated? What do you hope to get out of this role?
For account management positions
- If a client told you that they liked our product but it’s too expensive, how would you turn them around?
- What’s a deal you closed that you’re mostly proud of, and why?
- What’s your track record in delivering on revenue targets and customer satisfaction rates?
- How would you find new clients?
For senior level sales positions, including inside sales
- How do you handle conflicts on your team?
- How do you approach a sales representative who is underperforming?
- What’s your experience in forecasting sales? Name any tools and software that you use.
- Describe a time when your team didn’t manage to achieve sales quotas. What was your role in that experience? What did you learn, and what did you do differently for the next round of sales quotas?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial