This Account Manager job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages. Customize it with account management duties and responsibilities for your company.
Account Manager responsibilities include:
- Operating as the lead point of contact for any and all matters specific to your accounts
- Building and maintaining strong, long-lasting customer relationships
- Overseeing customer account management, including negotiating contracts and agreements to maximize profit
Hiring an Account manager? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for an Account Manager to create long-term, trusting relationships with our customers. The Account Manager’s role is to oversee a portfolio of assigned customers, develop new business from existing clients and actively seek new sales opportunities.
What does an Account Manager do?
Account management responsibilities include developing strong relationships with customers, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders and preparing sales reports. Account Managers also answer client queries and identify new business opportunities among existing customers. In this role, you will liaise with cross-functional internal teams (including Customer Service and Product Development departments) to improve the entire customer experience. This position may require occasional travel.
If you are familiar with account management software (CRM), have a flair for client communication and understand consumer behavior, we’d like to meet you. Ideally, candidates for this role will know how to meet ambitious individual and team-wide sales quotas.
Ultimately, a successful Account Manager should collaborate with our sales team to achieve quotas while keeping our clients satisfied and engaged with our products and services in the long-run.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for all customer account management matters
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting client relationships
- Negotiate contracts and close agreements to maximize profits
- Develop trusted advisor relationships with key accounts, customer stakeholders and executive sponsors
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions according to customer needs and objectives
- Clearly communicate the progress of monthly/quarterly initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop new business with existing clients and/or identify areas of improvement to meet sales quotas
- Forecast and track key account metrics (e.g. quarterly sales results and annual forecasts)
- Prepare reports on account status
- Collaborate with sales team to identify and grow opportunities within territory
- Assist with challenging client requests or issue escalations as needed
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Account Manager, Key Account Manager, Sales Account Manager, Junior Account Manager or relevant role
- Demonstrable ability to communicate, present and influence key stakeholders at all levels of an organization, including executive and C-level
- Solid experience with CRM software (e.g. Salesforce, Zoho CRM or HubSpot) and MS Office (particularly MS Excel)
- Experience delivering client-focused solutions to customer needs
- Proven ability to juggle multiple account management projects at a time, while maintaining sharp attention to detail
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- BA/BS degree in Business Administration, Sales or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does an Account Manager do?
An Account Manager closely interacts with customers to answer questions or address concerns. The daily tasks of an Account Management include overseeing routine issues as well as handling more complicated ones on behalf of their clients.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Account Manager?
An Account Manager is in charge of making sure each department meets the needs of their clients and customers. They handle customer complaints, find solutions to their issues, and maintain a positive relationship between both parties for future business ventures.
What makes a good Account Manager?
A good Account Manager must be customer focused to build trust with customers. They must be a strong communicator to manage their accounts properly. An efficient Account Manager must also be knowledgeable about their company’s products and services to provide customers with the most effective solutions.
Who does an Account Manager work with?
The Account Manager facilitates communication between clients and sales representatives. They work closely with both to ensure each has clear expectations for the transaction and determine whether the product or service fits the current needs of both parties involved in the negotiation.