This Account Manager interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions. With these account manager interview questions, you can begin to assess the skills and qualities of your candidate, and what they will bring to your company. Similar job titles include Account Associate, Account Executive, Account Representative and Account Specialist.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best Account manager candidates. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Account Manager Interview Questions
Account Managers are the people tasked with keeping your customers and clients happy. They are the ones responsible for ensuring that your business gets maximum value from these relationships over the long as well as the short term.
What does an account manager do?
Account management responsibilities include developing strong relationships with customers, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders and preparing sales reports.
What you are assessing is the ability to manage the most important relationships that your business has. You are looking for someone who can impress on every interaction with clients. It is key for account managers to keep these relationships healthy and identify opportunities to sell new services or products that may be relevant to existing customers.
We have chosen out of the ordinary account management interview questions that can help you assess the core attributes an effective account manager should possess: leadership and business insight, client service focus, the ability to structure deep client relationships and problem solving intelligence as well as top-notch negotiation, presentation & communication skills. Many of these may echo sales interview questions.
Similar interview questions may be used for account and sales positions like account director, national account manager, account representative or key account manager.
- Rate yourself as an account manager on a scale of 1 to 10.
- What can you do for us that someone else cannot
- What is so important about establishing a long term relationship with clients and customers?
- Let’s pretend I’m a client of your assigned portfolio. How would you up-sell or cross-sell this company’s products to me?
- I’m the client and you are the newly hired account manager. I’m saying things like “Your services cost too much”, “I’m okay with the way things work right now”, “I need to run this by my business partner before I do anything else” or “I’m too busy; Call me again in 6 months”. How would you turn me around?
- Describe a situation in which you were able to handle a dissatisfied client?
- What’s your track record in delivering on revenue targets and customer satisfaction rates?
- If you could snap your fingers and change one thing in your personality what would it be and why?
- Tell me about the largest or most important project you have worked on and how you managed it, from start to finish?
- What are you passionate about?
Pro tip: Remember that an interview is more than an opportunity for the candidate to sell themselves it's also your opportunity to sell your company as a great place to work. Use these interview questions for account manager as a way to convey what you're looking for in a candidate.