Key Account Manager interview questions and answers
This sample of Key Account Manager interview questions can help you identify qualified candidates with sales skills to meet your hiring needs. These interview questions are easy to customize to match your specific job requirements.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Key Account Manager Interview Questions
Key Account Managers are responsible for developing and nurturing long-term relationships with important clients. This is a strategic role, so you should look for candidates with previous experience as Account Managers or National Account Managers who are comfortable being the face of your company.
Ask the following questions to gauge candidates’ communication and negotiation skills. Key Account Managers interact with strategic clients on a daily basis. Opt for candidates who navigate client needs toward solutions that promote your company. A problem-solving attitude is essential for this role.
Candidates who are familiar with your industry will stand out. It’s best to look for potential hires who demonstrate an interest in sales and market trends. Behavioral interview questions will give you a good idea of how candidates resolve conflicts and build trusting relationships.
Operational and Situational questions
- If a long-term key client informed you they’re considering ending our business relationship, how would you turn them around?
- You’re about to close the deal with an important client, but this will result in losing an existing smaller client who is a competitor to the potential new one. How would you handle this?
- What advice would you give a new Account Manager on dealing with customer complaints?
- Where would you turn to for new sales opportunities in our industry if you were required to increase revenue by X% in a year?
- Are you familiar with Salesforce.com? What other CRM software have you used?
- What are the main duties of a Key Account Manager, from finding a new client to closing the deal?
- What information do you need before contacting a new client for the first time?
- How often do you prepare progress reports for your manager? How do you do it? What information do you need to do it?
- What steps do you take to ensure you build strong relationships with key clients? Do you prefer in-person, email or phone communication? Why?
- Describe your portfolio of clients from your previous job.
- Tell me about your most successful (end-to-end) project so far.
- Have you ever made a mistake that cost you a customer? What did you learn from that experience?