Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Field Sales Representative Interview Questions
Field Sales Representatives are responsible for sourcing new sales opportunities and increasing revenue. They are excellent salespeople who build strong, long-term client relationships to achieve sales quotas.
This could be a quite tricky role to fill, as you’re looking for a sales rep who can step out of their comfort zone and figure out innovative ways to approach clients and close sales. This means that they’ll have to work outside the office environment, performing door-to-door sales, cold calling and scheduling meetings and presentations at potential clients offices.
Your ideal candidate has a dynamic personality and is passionate about sales and marketing. They have previous relevant experience and are interested in learning new sales techniques. To succeed in this role, your candidates should also be goal-driven and have strong negotiation skills.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe the sales techniques you’re most familiar with. Which ones do you find the most, and least, effective?
- How do you source potential clients? Considering our products, what do you think would be the most effective methods for our company?
- Who do you think our clients are and what would you suggest to increase our market share?
- When do you stop pursuing a client?
- What do you do after you close a sale?
- Describe the customer decision buying process. What’s your role in each phase?
- Have you worked with Salesforce.com? What other CRM software do you know?
- What keeps you motivated in this job?
- Walk me through a successful cold call.
- What tools do you use to forecast sales trends?
- What information do you need to prepare a quarterly report?
- How do you prepare yourself for a presentation to a new client?
- How often do you communicate with existing clients?
- How do you identify customer needs?
- Explain how you deal with negative clients giving examples from your past experience.
- Describe a situation where you failed to reach a sales goal. What happened and what did you learn from that experience?
- What would you like to learn more about to become a better Field Sales Representative?
- Are you comfortable with working outside the office environment and possibly traveling a lot?