Careers pages are powerful recruiting tools. According to research, sixty-four percent of job seekers consider careers pages valuable resources during their job search. Once they’re on your careers site, potential candidates look for:
- Current job openings
- Your company’s values
- Employee testimonials
- Reasons why employees work there
- Reasons why employees choose to stay
So, create an informative, engaging and up-to-date careers page to increase the chances of attracting people who want to work with you. An effective careers page:
- Informs jobs seekers about open roles and necessary qualifications
- Conveys company culture
- Converts page visitors into job applicants
How to create a careers page with Workable
1. If you don’t have a careers page or if you want to create a new one
Designing a careers page from scratch can be challenging. It requires a budget to build and maintain the website, software development skills, either from your IT team or an external agency and time, in order to keep the content up-to-date.
If you’re using Workable as your recruiting software, you can create a branded careers page, hosted for free on Workable. It will advertise your open roles and showcase your company culture. This page can include:
- Your company logo
- A description of your company (e.g. your mission, values and employee benefits)
- Images and videos of your employees and offices (this is optional)
- A list of your current job openings, with links to the full job descriptions and application forms
This Workable-hosted mini site:
- Requires no extra cost; it’s included with every Workable plan
- Is easy to set up in a few minutes, without the need of an IT department
- Allows candidates to quickly find an open role that fits their profile, while they learn a few things about your company
2. If you already have a careers page
You can add the list of open roles to your existing site using Workable Widget. This is a simple piece of code, which can be styled using CSS.
The Workable Widget:
- Creates a job listing that matches your house style
- Automatically updates the list of open roles every time you create or edit a position in Workable
- Allows you to customize the display of your job posts (e.g. by department or location) to help candidates quickly find the jobs that interest them
If you want to go even further, Workable also has an API.
Here are some examples of beautifully designed careers pages you can use as inspiration:
HireVue, a video interviewing software company, Ayima, a digital marketing company. As well as listing jobs by department and location, both feature pages detailing what it’s like to work at the organization, and spend time building up their employer brand:
Benefits of creating careers pages with Workable
Save time with automated job listings updates
Updating your careers page every time you start looking for a new employee can be time-consuming, particularly if you’re hiring for multiple positions. When you have no in-house IT skills, keeping up-to-date becomes even more challenging. In addition, if you forget to deactivate a job ad once you close a hire, you’ll continue to receive applications. This can only disappoint applicants, and potentially discourage them from applying for positions in the future.
Workable removes the hassle of manual updates. Our intuitive online editor provides the tools you need to create a flexible design that’s always up-to-date with a list of your latest positions. Every time you publish, update or close positions in Workable, the list of open roles on your careers page will update automatically.
Improve candidate experience with a three-click application process
Sleek careers pages are nice, but alone they may not enough to entice candidates to fill out an application. Workable careers pages prioritize candidate experience. Interested candidates can view and apply to your job openings through a simple three-click process:
1. Candidates visit your career page and view all openings in one place:
2. Then, they click on the position that interests them to read the full job description:
3. Finally, they click on the ‘Apply’ button to complete their job application.
Workable also offers the option to enable ‘Apply with LinkedIn’. This improves applicant conversion by enabling candidates to start an application using their LinkedIn profile data.
Find out more about Workable’s partnership with LinkedIn and how it can increase the number of candidates who apply.
Reach more candidates with mobile-friendly Workable careers pages
Nine out of ten job seekers use mobile devices to search for new opportunities and thirty-nine percent of them are likely to visit a company’s career page on their phone. So, creating a mobile-friendly careers page is essential.
With prominent buttons, easy navigation and user-friendly design, Workable’s careers pages are optimized both for desktop and mobile. They:
- Use a responsive design that adjusts your page to each device’s screen size and orientation (including cell phones, tablets and computers.)
- Simplify navigation and eliminate unnecessary links and pop-ups.
- Enable you to format text into lists and powerful headlines, instead of unmanageable chunks of text.
In addition, as Workable integrates with the most popular job boards, candidates can apply via their mobile using:
- One-click apply with LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Mobile Apply
- Indeed Apply
- Apply with Monster
This immediately reduces the time and effort of completing the application, by auto-filling certain application fields with stored data.
Now that you’ve created a candidate-friendly careers page, get the most out of it by hosting good content that builds your employer brand and write compelling job descriptions that attract qualified candidates. For a deeper dive into the finer points of careers pages, check out our careers page FAQ.
Not using Workable yet? We will build and host your mobile-friendly career page so that you can share it via social media, email or your own website. Get a free demo today to learn more.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial