Recruiters can use HR tools and technology to increase productivity and stay competitive. Here’s how you can use current technology and tools to boost your recruitment efforts:
Create a mobile hiring process
The data proves that candidates apply to jobs on their phones. Twenty-eight percent of Americans use their smartphone in their job search, and half of them have used their smartphone to fill out a job application, according to a Pew Research Center survey. Create a mobile-friendly hiring process by optimizing the following for mobile:
Make these elements of your hiring process easily accessible from any device to appeal to a broader base of potential candidates.
Use your ATS app to recruit
You can source and manage candidates through your smartphone by using a mobile Applicant Tracking System. Mobile recruiting facilitates team collaboration and quick access to important data from everywhere. In her blog post, Workable’s VP of Sales Rachel Bates explains how she hired twenty new employees for her team using Workable on her smartphone.
Video calls are a convenient alternative to traditional in-person interviews, especially when candidates and interviewers are in different locations. The rise of live streaming via social networks (see Facebook Live and Periscope broadcasts on Twitter) is an indicator that live, unfiltered video sessions are a growing trend.
Screen candidates using video tools like Skype, Hangouts, SparkHire or HireVue before inviting them to your offices. You could also ask them to record and send a quick video so that you can evaluate their presentation skills, if they’re relevant to the role you’re hiring for. Or, save time by recording your interview questions once and prompting candidates to submit their answers in their own time.
Webinars and podcasts
Participate in webinars and podcasts to get ideas on how to boost your recruitment without leaving your office. Consider learning about topics such as new sourcing tools, Boolean search tips, HR software and social recruiting guides. Try hiring webinars from:
If you prefer recruiting podcasts, tune into:
Take online courses to brush up on HR-related topics or delve into a new field of study. Consider courses from well-known HR institutions and online training programs. Here are some options:
Consider online courses that will help you understand the skills you should be looking for in candidates and how specific teams work. For example, if you’re a technical recruiter, coding courses may explain basic technical terms for you so that you can ask pointed interview questions. If you’re hiring salespeople, take a course on sales and marketing techniques to prepare simulation activities for your candidates.
New HR product launches and regular upgrades and integrations to your favorite tools can make your life easier. You can find out about software news in places like Product Hunt and Flipboard. Here are some tools that can help you work more efficiently:
- Zapier performs back-office tasks for specific triggers that you set, e.g. if your ATS integrates with Zapier, you can schedule to send a customized email to each new applicant.
- RescueTime tracks how much time you spend on daily tasks to help you create a more productive schedule.
- Boomerang is a Gmail integration that sends you follow-up reminders, lets you schedule messages and snoozes low-priority emails.
- Calendly helps you reduce back-and-forth emails with your team members; set your availability preferences, share your calendar with your team and quickly book meetings.
- People Search will automatically search millions of online profiles and multiple data sources in real time. The result is a single, unified candidate profile.
- Hired connects employers with developers, designers and product managers who’re looking for job opportunities. You can advertise your open roles, browse candidate profiles and schedule interviews.
Social media groups
Social media can help you network with human resources professionals you’ve never met. Here are a few groups to consider joining on social media:
Facebook groups for recruiters
LinkedIn groups for recruiters
Slack communities for recruiters
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial