These sample Coding interview questions are customized for different programming languages and can be used to test candidates on general coding and language-specific criteria. Use these questions to evaluate candidates’ skills and hire the best programmers for your company.
Coding Interview Questions
Most engineers and developers are required to know how to code. Evaluate candidates’ coding skills using technical interview questions during the hiring process. Give candidates coding problems that test their theoretical knowledge and reveal the way they think. For better results, include a written assignment, where you can assess how candidates approach coding projects end-to-end.
Asking too many technical questions can overwhelm candidates. Focus on specific programming languages that you want to test for, based on your needs. Look for candidates who blend a Computer Science academic background with IT work experience.
For all engineering positions, keep an eye for candidates who are enthusiastic about coding and can find workarounds to coding issues. Award bonus points to candidates who keep up with the latest developments in coding and technology.
General coding questions
- Describe the process of writing a piece of code from requirements to delivery.
- Which tools have you used to test your code quality?
- How can you debug a program while it’s being used?
- What’s your favorite programming language and why? What features (if any) would you like to add to this language?
- Where do you place most of your focus when reviewing somebody else’s code?
- How do you stay up-to-date with the latest technology developments?
- How are Runtime exceptions different from Checked exceptions?
- Why use an object Factory and how would you implement the Singleton pattern?
- Is this possible in Java? “A extends B, C”
- What is difference between String, StringBuilder and StringBuffer in Java?
- What is the use of load and require in Ruby?
- Explain each of the following operators and how and when they should be used: ==, ===, eql?, equal?
- What is a module? Can you tell me the difference between classes and modules?
- What are some of your favorite gems?
- Why are functions considered first class objects in Python?
- Can you explain circular dependencies in Python and potential ways to avoid them?
- Give an example of filter and reduce over an iterable object.
- Can you explain the uses/advantage of a generator?
- What is the WebSecurity class in .NET? What is its use?
- In .NET, attributes are a method of associating declarative information with C# code. Please describe the way they are used and a proper use case.
- Which is the best way to pass configuration variables to ASP.NET applications?
- Is it possible in .NET to extend a class (any class) with some extra methods? If yes, how can it be accomplished?
- If you need to generate random numbers in PHP, what method would you follow?
- What’s the difference between the include() and require() functions?
- Explain how you develop and integrate plugins for PHP frameworks, like Laravel and Yii.
- How can you get web browser’s details using PHP?
- Can you describe the difference between inline elements and block elements?
- Why is it generally a good idea to position CSS <link>s between <head></head> and JS <script>s just before </body>? Do you know any exceptions?
- Can you describe how padding and margin differ?
- How is responsive design different from adaptive design?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial