This .NET Web Developer interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
.NET Web Developer Interview Questions
In some respects even the most technical role demands qualities common to strong candidates for all positions: the willingness to learn; qualified skills; passion for the job.
Even college performance, while it helps you to assess formal education, doesn’t give a complete picture. This is not to underplay the importance of a solid background in computer science. Some things to look for when sourcing .NET developers:
• Understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
• Discuss basic algorithms, how would they find/think/sort
• Can they show a wider understanding of databases
• Do they have an approach to modelling?
Do they stay up to date with the latest developments? If so, how? Probe for their favourite technical books. Who are they following on Twitter, which blogs do they turn to?
Are they active on Github? Do they contribute to any open source software projects? Or take part in Hackathons. In short, how strong is their intellectual interest in their chosen field? How is this demonstrated? Ask for side projects (like game development). Committed, inquisitive candidates will stand out.
Computer Science questions
- How does network latency usually affect user experience and how’s bandwidth?
- Describe the core principles of REST. How is this a different in essence from RPC?
- Which HTTP status codes classes are used to designate success, client error and server error respectively?
- What’s to consider when designing a new web API today?
- Please give a bullet list of the practices/tools you’d employ in order to measure and optimize the performance of a web site/web application you develop to publish on the internet
- What storage options do modern browsers provide?
- Provide a a basic overview of the OAUTH2 protocol flow
- What do you mean by polymorphism, inheritance and encapsulation?
- What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface and when would you use one over the other?
- What do we mean when we say that a certain Lambda expression forms a closure?
- Is it possible in .NET to extend a class (any class) with some extra methods? If yes, how can it be accomplished?
- What are multi-cast delegates?
- In .NET, attributes are a method of associating declarative information with C# code. Please describe the way they are used and a proper use case.
- What is the WebSecurity class in .NET? What is its use?
- Which is the best way to pass configuration variables to ASP.NET applications?
- Can the web.config file contain user defined sections? How are they declared and accessed by code?
- Please describe the process of deploying a Web Application using Web Deploy. How is the web.config file altered automatically to contain the proper configuration for the deployment environment?