Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Java Developer Interview Questions
In some respects even the most technical role demands qualities common to strong candidates for all positions: the willingness to learn; qualified skills; passion for the job.
Even college performance, while it helps you to assess formal education, doesn’t give a complete picture. This is not to underplay the importance of a solid background in computer science. Some things to look for:
• Understanding of basic algorithmic concepts
• Discuss basic algorithms, how would they find/think/sort
• Can they show a wider understanding of databases?
• Do they have an approach to modelling?
Do they stay up to date with the latest developments? If so, how? Probe for their favourite technical books. Who are they following on Twitter, which blogs do they turn to?
Are they active on Github? Do they contribute to any open source software projects? Or take part in Hackathons. In short, how strong is their intellectual interest in their chosen field? How is this demonstrated? Ask for side projects (like game development). Committed, inquisitive candidates will stand out.
Computer Science questions
- How do you know if a linked list has a cycle in it? As in, one of the nodes in the linked list points to a previous node in the list.
- Describe the characteristics of an ACID database system.
Source and recruit Java Developers with Workable’s Boolean search cheat sheets.