This Restaurant Server job description example is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company. Similar job titles include Server and Food Server.
Restaurant Server responsibilities include:
- Preparing restaurant tables with special attention to sanitation and order
- Attending to customers upon entrance to the restaurant
- Presenting menus, serving and helping customers select food/beverages
We are looking for a competent Restaurant Server to take and deliver orders. You’ll be the face of our restaurant and responsible for our customers’ experiences.
Food server responsibilities include ensuring our tables are clean and tidy when guests arrive, presenting menus and serving food and beverages. You need to be quick on your feet (literally and metaphorically) and have a polite and friendly attitude. If you enjoy talking to people and thrive in a fast-paced workplace, we’d like to meet you.
Your ultimate goal will be to provide high-quality service that will help us maintain and attract customers.
- Prepare restaurant tables with special attention to sanitation and order
- Attend to customers upon entrance
- Present restaurant menus and help customers select food/beverages
- Take and serve orders
- Answer questions or make recommendations for complementary products
- Collaborate with other restaurant servers and kitchen/bar staff
- Deal with complaints or problems with a positive attitude
- Issue bills and accept payment
Requirements and skills
- Proven restaurant serving or waitering experience
- Hands-on experience in cashier duties
- Attention to cleanliness and safety
- Patience and customer-oriented approach
- Excellent people skills with a friendly attitude
- Responsible and trustworthy
- High school diploma is a plus but not required
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Server do?
- A Server takes orders, answers questions about food and drink options, and provides exceptional customer service with a pleasant demeanor.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Server?
- A Server's responsibility is attending to diners before, during, and after their meals by helping them place, receive, and pay for their orders. They also ensure the timely delivery of food and beverages by checking on their tables periodically throughout the service time.
- What makes a good Server?
- Being a great Server is about being attentive to the needs of their customers. They must have excellent listening skills and be detail-oriented since they have to understand exactly what people want. They also need to ask the appropriate questions to deliver the best service possible.
- Who does a Server work with?
- Servers often work with a Chef and their assistants to ensure each patron receives their desired meal quickly and reasonably.