This Food Expeditor job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a Food Expeditor?
A Food Expeditor is a professional responsible for ensuring efficient order flow between waitstaff and kitchen, prioritizing orders, and assisting in final dish preparation.
What does a Food Expeditor do?
A Food Expeditor ensures the smooth and timely flow of orders from waiters to the kitchen, checks dishes for accuracy and presentation, assists in final dish preparation, maintains fast service, handles customer complaints, and upholds quality and sanitation standards.
Food Expeditor responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the efficient flow of orders from the waiters to the kitchen
- Ensuring orders are being prepared with the correct priority
- Assisting in the final preparation of dishes
We are looking for a competent Food expeditor to help keep a smooth workflow between the kitchen and the tables. You will work in a fast-paced environment to get proper orders out faster and more efficiently.
As food expeditor, you must have excellent communication skills and experience in a restaurant’s hectic setting. You must have enough stamina to be in constant motion and skills to coordinate and organize processes and people.
The goal is to make service faster and better to help enhance our quality and reputation.
- Ensure the efficient flow of orders from the waiters to the kitchen
- Ensure orders are being prepared with the correct priority
- Assist in the final preparation of dishes
- Check dishes before delivery for accuracy, presentation and temperature
- Deliver orders to maintain fast service
- Eliminate obstacles in service, food preparation lines or dishwashing
- Inspect the premises according to quality and sanitation standards and assist in cleaning
- Transfer important information between the kitchen and the wait staff (e.g. when a customer has a particular request)
- Handle complaints from clients to preserve the restaurant’s reputation
- Support other tasks as needed (e.g. telephone orders)
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as food expeditor or other restaurant position
- Understanding of health and safety rules in a restaurant
- Dexterity in using kitchen equipment or utensils and carry heavy trays
- Well-organized and ability to lead and direct people
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Outstanding coordination and multi-tasking abilities
- A customer-oriented approach
- Great physical endurance
- High school diploma; Higher degree in hospitality or relevant field will be appreciated
- Food handling certification may be required according to legal regulations
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Food Expeditor do?
- A Food Expeditor ensures efficient order flow between waitstaff and kitchen, assists in final dish preparation, checks dish accuracy, and maintains fast service.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Food Expeditor?
- The duties and responsibilities of a Food Expeditor include managing order flow, prioritizing orders, assisting in dish preparation, checking dish accuracy, delivering orders, resolving complaints, and maintaining quality and sanitation standards.
- What makes a good Food Expeditor?
- A good Food Expeditor possesses excellent communication skills, works well in a fast-paced environment, demonstrates strong coordination and organization skills, and prioritizes customer satisfaction.
- Who does a Food Expeditor work with?
- A Food Expeditor works closely with waitstaff, kitchen staff, and management to ensure efficient order flow, accurate dish preparation, and timely delivery.
- What skills should a Food Expeditor have?
- A Food Expeditor should have strong communication and negotiation skills, the ability to multitask and coordinate people and processes, dexterity in using kitchen equipment, attention to detail, customer service orientation, and physical endurance.