This Waiter/Waitress job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your restaurant. Similar job titles include Server and Food Server.
Waiter/Waitress responsibilities include:
- Providing excellent wait service to ensure satisfaction
- Taking customer orders and delivering food and beverages
- Making menu recommendations, answering questions and sharing additional information with restaurant patrons
Hiring a Waiter/Waitress? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a skilled Waiter or Waitress to take orders and deliver food and beverages to our customers.
The right Waiter/Waitress uplifts the dining experience for customers. We are looking for someone who will have the patience, personality and perseverance to thrive in this role.
Waiter/Waitress responsibilities include greeting and serving customers, providing detailed information on menus, multi-tasking various front-of-the-house duties and collecting the bill. If you are able to perform well in fast-paced environments, we’d like to meet you. To be a successful Waiter or Waitress, you should be polite with our customers and make sure they enjoy their meals. You should also be a team player and be able to effectively communicate with our Kitchen Staff to make sure orders are accurate and delivered promptly.
Keep in mind that Waiter/Waitress duties may require working in shifts and/or occasionally during weekends and holidays.
Ultimately, it is the duty of our Waiters/Waitresses to provide an excellent overall dining experience for our guests.
- Greet and escort customers to their tables
- Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients or potential food allergies)
- Prepare tables by setting up linens, silverware and glasses
- Inform customers about the day’s specials
- Offer menu recommendations upon request
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate
- Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software,order slips or by memorization
- Check customers’ IDs to ensure they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
- Serve food and drink orders
- Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
- Arrange table settings and maintain a tidy dining area
- Deliver checks and collect bill payments
- Carry dirty plates, glasses and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
- Meet with restaurant staff to review daily specials, changes on the menu and service specifications for reservations (e.g. parties)
- Follow all relevant health department regulations
- Provide excellent customer service to guests
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Waiter or Waitress
- Hands-on experience with cash register and ordering information system (e.g. Revel POS or Toast POS)
- Basic math skills
- Attentiveness and patience for customers
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Active listening and effective communication skills
- Team spirit
- Flexibility to work in shifts
- High school diploma; food safety training is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Waiter/Waitress do?
A Waiter/Waitress ensures a great dining experience for guests through attentiveness and excellent customer service. They provide detailed menu information and multi-task with various front-of-the-house duties, including collecting payment.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Waiter/Waitress?
The duties and responsibilities of a Waiter/Waitress include welcoming and seating guests, taking guest orders, communicating them effectively to the kitchen and in addition, memorizing the menu and offering recommendations to upsell appetizers, desserts, or drinks.
What makes a good Waiter/Waitress?
A good Waiter/Waitress will have a friendly and patient personality. They must make quick decisions and have great interpersonal skills. Attention to detail and excellent multitasking skills are important.
Who does a Waiter/Waitress work with?
Waiters/Waitresses frequently work with other servers and maintain positive interactions with guests daily. They can report to a Shift Leader or various levels of management depending on the dining outlet.