Use this Food Runner job description to attract qualified candidates for your restaurant. Feel free to modify job duties and requirements, as needed.
Food Runner responsibilities include:
- Delivering food orders from the kitchen to customers’ tables rapidly and accurately
- Acting as the point of contact between Front of the House and Back of the House staff
- Communicating food orders to chefs, paying attention to priorities (e.g. food allergies)
We are looking for a Food Runner to join our team and facilitate collaboration between our kitchen and wait staff.
Food Runner responsibilities include setting tables, serving food orders and removing used dishes and utensils. If you’d like to gain experience in the restaurant industry and learn how to provide an excellent dining experience, we’d like to meet you. To be considered for this role, you should be available to work various shifts, including weekends.
Ultimately, you will ensure our guests have a high-quality dining experience by serving their food in a timely and accurate manner.
- Deliver food orders from the kitchen to customers’ tables rapidly and accurately
- Act as the contact point between Front of the House and Back of the House staff
- Communicate food orders to chefs, paying attention to priorities and special requests (e.g. food allergies)
- Assist the wait staff with table setting by fetching and placing appropriate tableware, eating utensils and napkins
- Serve welcome drinks and hors d’oeuvres, upon guests’ arrival
- Ensure food is served in accordance with safety standards (e.g. proper temperature)
- Check in with customers and take additional orders or refill water, as needed
- Remove dirty dishes and utensils
- Answer guests’ questions about ingredients and menu items
- Inform restaurant staff about customers’ feedback or requests (e.g. when they ask for the check)
- Make sure families with young children get kids menus and special silverware sets
- Experience as a Food Expeditor or similar entry-level role in a restaurant
- Understanding of hygiene and food safety rules
- Physical ability and stamina to carry heavy trays and stand for long hours
- Availability to work various shifts, including weekends
- Multi-tasking abilities
- Good oral communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a fast-paced work environment
- Degree in hospitality or restaurant management is a plus