This Payroll Specialist job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Payroll Specialist responsibilities include:
- Gathering information on hours worked for each employee
- Calculating the correct amount incorporating overtime, deductions, bonuses etc. with assistance of a computer system
- Receiving approval from upper management for payments when needed
Hiring a payroll specialist? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a knowledgeable Payroll Specialist to process and manage the company’s payroll. You will be the one to calculate wages based on hours worked and administer payments.
A payroll specialist is able to use payroll software with accuracy and efficiency. They are good with numbers and can be trusted with sensitive information. They also have great communication skills to interact with colleagues and executives.
The goal is to ensure personnel receives the correct compensation in a timely manner.
- Gather information on hours worked for each employee
- Calculate the correct amount incorporating overtime, deductions, bonuses etc. with assistance of a computer system
- Receive approval from upper management for payments when needed
- Prepare and execute pay orders through an electronic system or distribute paychecks
- Administer statements of payment to personnel either electronically or on paper
- Process taxes and payment of employee benefits
- Keep track of hour rates, wages, compensation benefit rates, new hire information etc.
- Address issues and questions regarding payroll from employees and superiors
- Prepare reports for upper management, finance department etc.
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as payroll specialist or payroll manager
- Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices
- Very good knowledge of legislation and regulations of the field
- Proficient in MS Office and good knowledge of relevant software (e.g. Kronos, Payforce) and databases
- Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- High school diploma or equivalent; BSc/BA in business, accounting or relevant field is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Payroll Specialist do?
A Payroll Specialist handles all aspects related to paying people at an organization. They track down how many hours an individual worked throughout their shift and issue paychecks accordingly.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Payroll Specialist?
A Payroll Specialist’s duties include processing all of the company's employee data. They are also accountable for maintaining a budget, ensuring expenses aren't exceeded and helping various departments improve payroll procedures.
What makes a good Payroll Specialist?
Payroll specialists must have good communication skills to interact appropriately with clients, HR staff and other employees to meet their needs. They must have strong organizational skills and be self-motivated to keep deadlines on tight schedules while ensuring wages are issued accurately and timely.
Who does a Payroll Specialist work with?
A Payroll Specialist works closely with organization employees to collect relevant documents and paperwork that guarantees paychecks are issued promptly. They report to the Payroll Manager to ensure all laws and payroll tax obligations are met.