This Payroll Manager job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards and careers pages. Feel free to customize this template to meet your company’s needs.
Payroll Manager Responsibilities
- Oversee and direct payroll procedures
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and payroll tax obligations
- Supervise and coach payroll team
We are looking for a Payroll Manager to lead our payroll functions. You’ll work to ensure our payroll expenses and taxes are paid correctly and on time. A big part of your job will be to supervise our payroll team and liaise with other professionals.
Our ideal candidate is analytical and methodical, with experience in payroll administration and deep knowledge of payroll regulations. We also value integrity, team spirit and strong organizational skills.
Your goal will be to ensure our payroll procedures are compliant, efficient and current.
- Develop systems to process payroll account transactions (e.g. salaries, benefits, garnishments, deductions, taxes and third party payments)
- Coordinate timekeeping and payroll systems
- Oversee processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, raises) and system upgrades
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and internal policies
- Supervise and coach payroll clerks and assistants
- Liaise with auditors and manage payroll tax audits
- Collaborate with Human Resources (HR) and accounting teams
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions
- Proven experience as a payroll manager or similar role
- Current knowledge of payroll procedures and related laws
- Excellent understanding of multi-location payroll and taxes
- Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. SAP, ADP, Kronos) and MS Office (especially Excel)
- A keen eye for detail
- An analytical mind and good math skills
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- Organizational and leadership skills
- BSc/BA in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related field; professional certification (e.g. CPP, CPM) is a plus
- Assess candidates with our Payroll Manager interview questions