This Payroll Manager job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a payroll manager?
A payroll manager is a professional who oversees and directs payroll procedures within an organization. They are responsible for ensuring compliance with relevant laws and tax obligations, supervising the payroll team, and maintaining accurate payroll records.
What does a payroll manager do?
A payroll manager is responsible for various tasks related to payroll administration. They develop systems to process payroll transactions, coordinate timekeeping systems, oversee payroll changes and system upgrades, ensure compliance with laws and internal policies, supervise and coach payroll staff, liaise with auditors for payroll tax audits, collaborate with HR and accounting teams, maintain accurate records, and resolve payroll-related issues.
Payroll Manager responsibilities include:
- Oversee and direct payroll procedures
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws and payroll tax obligations
- Supervise and coach payroll team
Hiring a payroll manager? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are seeking a highly skilled Payroll Manager to take charge of our payroll functions. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure accurate and timely payment of payroll expenses and taxes. Supervising our dedicated payroll team and collaborating with professionals from various departments will be key aspects of your role.
We are looking for an individual who is analytical, methodical, and experienced in payroll administration. A deep understanding of payroll regulations is crucial. Additionally, we value qualities such as integrity, team spirit, and strong organizational skills.
Your ultimate goal will be to maintain compliance, streamline payroll procedures for efficiency, and stay updated with current regulations and best practices.
As our Payroll Manager, you will play a vital role in safeguarding the financial well-being of our organization and ensuring our employees are paid accurately and on time. Join our team and contribute to the smooth and effective operation of our payroll functions.
- Develop systems to process payroll account transactions (e.g. salaries, benefits, garnishments, deductions, taxes and third party payments)
- Coordinate timekeeping and payroll systems
- Oversee processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, raises) and system upgrades
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and internal policies
- Supervise and coach payroll clerks and assistants
- Liaise with auditors and manage payroll tax audits
- Collaborate with Human Resources (HR) and accounting teams
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a payroll manager or similar role
- Current knowledge of payroll procedures and related laws
- Excellent understanding of multi-location payroll and taxes
- Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. SAP, ADP, Kronos) and MS Office (especially Excel)
- A keen eye for detail
- An analytical mind and good math skills
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- Organizational and leadership skills
- BSc/BA in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related field; professional certification (e.g. CPP, CPM) is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a payroll manager do?
- A payroll manager oversees payroll procedures, ensures compliance with laws and tax obligations, supervises the payroll team, and maintains accurate records.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a payroll manager?
- The duties of a payroll manager include developing payroll systems, coordinating timekeeping, overseeing payroll changes and upgrades, ensuring compliance, supervising and coaching staff, liaising with auditors, collaborating with HR and accounting teams, and resolving payroll issues.
- What makes a good payroll manager?
- A good payroll manager possesses knowledge of payroll procedures and laws, attention to detail, analytical and math skills, effective communication, organizational and leadership abilities, and familiarity with payroll software.
- Who does a payroll manager work with?
- A payroll manager works with the payroll team, HR professionals, auditors, and the accounting department. They may also interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- What skills should a payroll manager have?
- A payroll manager should have experience in payroll management, knowledge of payroll procedures and laws, proficiency in payroll software and MS Office, attention to detail, analytical and math skills, strong communication, organization, and leadership abilities.