Use these sample Payroll Manager interview questions to identify qualified candidates for your open roles. Feel free to add any specific questions that meet your needs.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best payroll managers. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Payroll Manager Interview Questions
Payroll Managers ensure employees are paid accurately and on time. They also manage insurance coverages, tax deductions and bonuses. Their academic background typically includes a Human Resources and/or Accounting degree.
Candidates for this role should have experience issuing payrolls for a workforce similar to your company’s. Keep an eye out for professionals who have worked in your industry as payroll managers or payroll officers, as they’ll be more familiar with specific requirements and regulations. Familiarity with your payroll software is a plus, but put most of your focus on how they organize employee records and check their work for accuracy.
Payroll Managers handle sensitive information with confidentiality and remain calm under stressful situations. Look for detail-oriented candidates you can count on to stay up-to-date with labor law changes. If the role includes managing a team, test candidates’ leadership skills.
Operational and Situational questions
- If you received complaints from employees about errors in this month’s payroll, what would be the first thing you do?
- You realized that you made a mistake in the payroll and as a result one employee was underpaid. How would you address the issue? Is it better to compensate the difference as soon as possible or add it to next month’s payroll? Why?
- How would you create a report that forecasts next year’s payroll expenses?
- An employee claims that a coworker in the same position has a higher salary and demands an explanation from you. How would you reply?
- What guidelines would you write to explain the payroll process to your team?
- You realize there’s a stark gender pay gap in a specific department within the company. Would you leave it be, or bring the issue up to HR? Why or why not?
- What payroll software do you use?
- Are you familiar with HRIS systems? If so, which ones?
- How do you check your work for accuracy before submitting payroll?
- What’s the best timekeeping method for employees who work in shifts?
- What’s included in local taxes withholdings?
- According to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), what’s the overtime pay rate for nonexempt employees?
- How do you deal with deadlines? Tell me about a time you successfully managed a stressful situation.
- What resources do you use to learn about new labor regulations?
- Have you ever suggested and implemented a change that helped streamline the payroll process? If so, what was it?
- How do you explain financial and insurance details to employees in simple terms?