These sample HR Clerk interview questions will help you evaluate candidates for junior HR roles.
HR Clerk Interview Questions
HR Clerks provide administrative support to Human Resources departments. Although duties may differ based on the HR team’s size and needs, some of their key responsibilities include maintaining employee records, arranging interviews and updating or cancelling job ads.
Candidates for this role usually have an HR degree and little or no relevant work experience. Ask questions that reveal how well candidates understand procedures like job interviews, new hire onboarding and payroll. Look for people who are willing to start with basic tasks (e.g. data entry), develop skills on-the-job and ultimately take on more complex duties, like pre-screening resumes.
As with all HR roles, keep an eye out for candidates with good communication skills. If it’s relevant to your position, test candidates’ ability to prepare presentations, craft emails or manage spreadsheets. For example, if your future hire is going to be involved in payroll, you could issue an Excel assignment to candidates to evaluate their familiarity with managing numerical data and using spreadsheet software.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would you do if your manager assigned you with a task you weren’t familiar with during your first week?
- What kind of personal details (e.g. tax identification number and bank account) would you request from new hires?
- What would you do if an employee approached you claiming there’s an error in their monthly paycheck?
- What would you include in an onboarding presentation for new employees?
- What’s your experience with using resume databases and Applicant Tracking Systems?
- How do you keep digital and physical records organized and how often do you update them?
- How do you schedule interviews effectively? Mention specific tools and techniques, e.g. using calendar management tools and sending interview confirmation emails.
- What are some company policies every organization should have?
- Why did you apply for this position? What do you hope to learn in this role?
- How do you juggle assignments from various team members/managers? Describe how you prioritize work.
- How do you stay motivated during repetitive, clerical tasks, like record-keeping?
- Describe a time you had to collaborate with people you didn’t get along with (e.g. in college or during your internship.) How did you create a productive working relationship?