Collection Specialist job description
A Collections Specialist is a professional who is responsible for resolving overdue bills and collecting payments from those who owe. They must ensure that they keep their employer's assets safe while also making sure those responsible for unpaid bills are contacted immediately.
Collection Specialist responsibilities include:
- Monitoring accounts to identify overdue payments
- Finding and contacting debtors to arrange debt payoffs
- Keeping accurate records and reporting on collection activity
We are looking for a competent Collection Specialist to contact clients and collect outstanding payments. You will struck a balance between maintaining trustful relationships, and ensuring timely payments.
Our Collection Specialist should exhibit professionalism and trustworthiness. You should have excellent communication and negotiation skills, as well as an ability to work independently.
- Monitor accounts to identify outstanding debts
- Investigate historical data for each debt or bill
- Find and contact clients to ask about their overdue payments
- Take actions to encourage timely debt payments
- Process payments and refunds
- Resolve billing and customer credit issues
- Update account status records and collection efforts
- Report on collection activity and accounts receivable status
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Collection Specialist or similar role
- Knowledge of billing procedures and collection techniques (e.g. skip tracing)
- Familiarity with laws related to debt collection (e.g. FDCPA)
- Working knowledge of MS Office and databases
- Comfortable working with targets
- Patience and ability to manage stress
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Skilled in negotiation
- Problem-solving skills
- High school diploma; Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Collections Specialist do?
A Collections Specialist is the go-to person for any company with debt. They are in charge of resolving overdue bills and collecting payments from those individuals or businesses responsible for them, all while protecting their employer's financial assets.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Collections Specialist?
A Collections Specialist will have many responsibilities, but they typically focus on contacting individuals and businesses with unresolved bills and contact those people to collect payments.
What makes a good Collections Specialist?
A good Collections Specialist must have excellent communication skills since they work with individuals and businesses who owe money. They also must have good listening skills to understand the needs of debtors to find a way to resolve the unpaid bills.
Who does a Collections Specialist work with?
A Collections Specialist will work with the Accounts Receivable Manager to find customers who have unpaid collections and then work with those debtors to resolve those debts.
Hiring Collection Specialist job description
Post this Collection Specialist job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.