Use these sample Accounts Receivable Manager interview questions to help you assess candidates and hire the most qualified people for your role.
Accounts Receivable Manager Interview Questions
Accounts Receivable Managers oversee payment collection and ensure invoicing procedures comply with accounting regulations. Depending on the size and structure of the company, they may also supervise a team of Accounts Receivable Clerks.
Candidates for this role usually hold an Accounting or Finance degree. Although not required, professionals with additional certification (e.g. CPA) show they’re invested in the field. Consider adding an Excel test to your hiring process to evaluate candidates’ familiarity with spreadsheets and formulas they’ll use daily.
Look for candidates with solid time-management skills who can organize workloads and follow deadlines. Candidates with an analytical way of thinking will be better equipped to accurately parse large amounts of data. If this position requires managing a team, test candidates’ ability to set objectives and evaluate employee performance.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would be the first thing you’d check if you found a billing discrepancy?
- How would you negotiate with a client who has a debt?
- What are the steps you would take to close the accounts receivable period?
- What time management tips would you give to a newly-hired Accounts Receivable Clerk?
- What information would you use to forecast next month’s payments?
- What objectives would you set for your team? (monthly, quarterly and annual goals)
- What accounting software have you used? How do they facilitate your daily tasks?
- Briefly describe the steps of the journal entry process.
- How often do you conduct bank reconciliation? Why?
- What accounting reports do you create on a regular basis?
- What data do you include in an invoice for services rendered?
- How do you prefer to share the results from your team: with a detailed report or a verbal presentation? Why?
- How do you handle inconsistent payments from clients?
- How do you evaluate employee performance? Tell us about a time you had to deliver a negative review to one of your team members.
- Have you ever made a mistake at work that cost you (or your company) money? If so, what was the situation and what did you learn from that experience?
- How do you check your work for accuracy and how do you ensure you meet all deadlines?
- How do you stay up-to-date with changes in finance legislation?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial