This Accounts Receivable Clerk interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable accounts receivable (AR) interview questions. Similar job titles include Accounts Receivable Manager.
Accounts Receivable Clerk Interview Questions
Accounts Receivable Clerks are found in all types of industries. Some positions may even be entry-level positions requiring no more than a high school degree and some customer service experience. These accounts receivable process interview questions are intended to help you find a more experienced AR clerk, a skilled candidate who likely has a BS degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration and proficiency with spreadsheets and accounting software.
Open-ended and situational questions in an accounts receivable interview will encourage your candidates to speak at length about their relevant AR experience. Listen closely to their interview answers to learn how they explain accounts receivable processes and terminology. How deeply do they understand the function of the role? How would you rate their problem-solving skills? What motivates them to do this job accurately and efficiently? Answers to these questions will help you find the right clerk for your team. These interview questions can solicit answers that will make this decision clear.
Related: How to attract and hire entry-level employees
Keep in mind that in some circumstances, industry experience in accounts receivable and payable may be more valuable than general accounting experience. If knowledge of your industry makes a candidate a substantially better fit, add some customized industry-specific questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- What interests you about working in accounts receivable at a company like ours?
- What training or experience has prepared you for the role of accounts receivable clerk?
- In your own words, explain the accounts receivable process.
- What are the most important goals of AR?
- What types of financial statements or reports do you routinely prepare?
- What are the steps you would take to close the AR period?
- Describe your familiarity with accounting software. Which ones have you used?
- Describe a time you found a billing discrepancy. How did you resolve it?
- In as much detail as possible, describe the journal entry process from the time of generating an invoice to receiving payment.
- What is your role, if any, in the collections process?
- What’s the difference between back end collections and front end collections?
- What types of information do you include in a bill for services rendered?
- Recall a challenging problem you encountered as an accounts receivable clerk. How did you resolve it?
Use our accounts receivable clerk job description on your careers page and job boards to attract the most qualified candidates.