Accounting Clerk job description
An Accounting Clerk is a professional who is responsible for maintaining financial records, running reports, and recording a wide range of transactions. Their duties include providing administrative assistance to accountants as well as preparing statements that confirm the accuracy of database information.
This Accounting Clerk job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company. Add or revise duties and responsibilities that are specific to your organization and current projects. Similar job titles include Assistant Accountant, Staff Accountant, Junior Accountant.
Accounting Clerk responsibilities include:
- Providing accounting and clerical assistance to the accounting department
- Typing accurately, preparing and maintaining accounting documents and records
- Preparing bank deposits, general ledger postings and statements
We are looking for a skilled Accounting Clerk to perform a variety of accounting, bookkeeping and financial tasks.
Accounting Clerk responsibilities include keeping financial records updated, preparing reports and reconciling bank statements. You will also run accounting software programs (e.g. SAP) to process business transactions, like accounts payable and receivable, disbursements, expense vouchers and receipts. A successful accounting assistant should be familiar with all accounting procedures and have a flair for numbers.
Ultimately, a successful Accounting Clerk will ensure that the company’s daily accounting functions run accurately and effectively.
- Provide accounting and clerical support to the accounting department
- Type accurately, prepare and maintain accounting documents and records
- Prepare bank deposits, general ledger postings and statements
- Reconcile accounts in a timely manner
- Daily enter key data of financial transactions in database
- Provide assistance and support to company personnel
- Research, track and restore accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies
- Inform management and compile reports/summaries on activity areas
- Function in accordance with established standards, procedures and applicable laws
- Constantly update job knowledge
Requirements and skills
- Proven accounting experience, preferably as an Accounts Receivable Clerk or Accounts Payable Clerk
- Familiarity with bookkeeping and basic accounting procedures
- Competency in MS Office, databases and accounting software
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Aptitude for numbers
- Ability to perform filing and record keeping tasks
- Data entry and word processing skills
- Well organized
- High school degree
- Associate’s degree or relevant certification is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does an Accounting Clerk do?
An Accounting Clerk is responsible for adding up all the details of transactions, including amounts, types, and dates. They are in charge of monitoring accounts as well as making sure payments are current by coding documents according to their organization’s procedures. They also ensure accurate data entry into the system.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Accounting Clerk?
An Accounting Clerk is responsible for using bookkeeping databases, spreadsheets, and software to post financial transactions accurately. They receive vouchers or cash from customers, as well as record and receive debits/credits into appropriate computerized applications and datasets with the goal of producing correct reports that show discrepancies in records.
What makes a good Accounting Clerk?
An effective Accounting Clerk has a good memory for all of their duties and a detail-oriented mindset. They possess strong typing skills as well as financial literacy and math abilities so that no mistakes are made when entering data into computers or accounting software.
Who does an Accounting Clerk work with?
Accounting Clerks work in financial departments where they can be found assisting Accountants with their tasks. They also work alongside a Billing Clerk, who is responsible for managing account balances looking out for outstanding debts and inconsistencies.
Hiring Accounting Clerk job description
Post this Accounting Clerk job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.