Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Billing Clerk Interview Questions
Billing Clerks monitor and calculate accounts receivable, process invoices and keep records of financial documents, like receipts and bank statements. They help companies manage account balances and track revenues.
When hiring for this role, look for people who are highly organized. Missing even a small financial detail could put your company at risk. Potential hires should be experts in using spreadsheets and filing systems to keep all billing processes running smoothly. They should also be familiar with accounting legislation and make sure they meet all regulations.
Although an Accounting degree is not required for this position, candidates with relevant certifications will stand out. Billing Clerks also contact clients in order to issue invoices and handle potential discrepancies, so candidates with good communication skills will stand out.
Operational and Situational questions
- What data would you present to inform your manager about significant debts from clients?
- What would you say to customers who haven’t paid their bills, if we were close to the end of the fiscal year?
- What would you check first if you found a billing discrepancy?
- How would you make sure we collected invoices in a timely manner?
- What would you do if you realized you made a numerical mistake on an invoice right after you issued it?
- What are a Billing Clerk’s tasks when a customer makes a digital order?
- How do you keep track of payments?
- How often do you update the accounts receivable report?
- What is your experience with accounting software? (e.g. QuickBooks)
- What’s the most effective way to keep records of invoices?
- What bookkeeping tasks are you familiar with?
- How do you make sure financial documents remain confidential?
- Have you ever had an invoice discrepancy with a client? How did you resolve it?
- Tell us about a time you had a tight deadline for a project. How did you manage to complete it in time?
- This job can be repetitive. What motivates you to perform routine tasks?
- How do you stay up-to-date with new financial regulations?