Bookkeeper job description
A Bookkeeper is a service professional who helps business owners and companies keep track of the money they earn and spend. They prepare your accounts, document daily financial transactions and ensure compliance with applicable standards.
This Bookkeeper job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. Add your specific bookkeeping responsibilities to attract the most qualified candidates for your company.
Bookkeeper responsibilities include:
- Recording day to day financial transactions and completing the posting process
- Verifying that transactions are recorded in the correct day book, suppliers ledger, customer ledger and general ledger
- Bringing the books to the trial balance stage
We are looking for a skilled Bookkeeper to maintain our financial records, including purchases, sales, receipts and payments.
Bookkeeper job duties include working closely with our Accounting team to create and analyze financial reports and ensure legal requirements compliance, process accounts payable and receivable and manage invoices and tax payments. Our ideal candidate holds a Finance degree (preferably followed by accounting CPE courses) and is familiar with accounting software packages, like FreshBooks, Kashoo and KashFlow.
Ultimately, the Bookkeeper’s responsibilities are to accurately record all day-to-day financial transactions of our company.
- Record day to day financial transactions and complete the posting process
- Verify that transactions are recorded in the correct day book, suppliers ledger, customer ledger and general ledger
- Bring the books to the trial balance stage
- Perform partial checks of the posting process
- Complete tax forms
- Enter data, maintain records and create reports and financial statements
- Process accounts receivable/payable and handle payroll in a timely manner
Requirements and skills
- Proven bookkeeping experience
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable/receivable principles
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- BS degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
Frequently asked questions
What does a Bookkeeper do?
Bookkeepers are friendly, highly organized, and have strong verbal and written communication skills. Bookkeepers are the silent but powerful heroes of every business. They keep tabs on everything and anything to make sure that your company's finances stay intact, including cash flow statements, bank reconciliations (also known as reconciliation) and loss statements.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Bookkeeper?
On a day-to-day basis, Bookkeepers complete data entry, collect transactions, track debits and maintain and monitor financial records. They also pay invoices, complete payroll, file tax returns and even maintain office supplies.
What makes a good Bookkeeper?
A good Bookkeeper is detail-oriented, organized and proficient in bookkeeping software. They also take initiative, prioritize and can regularly meet deadlines. Another essential part of being a good bookkeeper is being trustworthy and honest because you're privy to so much important and confidential information.
Who does a Bookkeeper work with?
Bookkeepers can work with several different staff depending on their place of employment. Some of the people Bookkeepers generally work with include Accountants, Office Managers and Auditing Clerks.
Hiring Bookkeeper job description
Post this Bookkeeper job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.