This Accountant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. You can easily customize this template to add any accountant duties and responsibilities that are relevant to your company.
Accountant responsibilities include:
- Tracking payments to internal and external stakeholders
- Preparing budget forecasts
- Processing tax payments and returns
We are looking for an Accountant to manage all financial transactions, from fixed payments and variable expenses to bank deposits and budgets.
Accountant responsibilities include auditing financial documents and procedures, reconciling bank statements and calculating tax payments and returns. To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience with bookkeeping and a flair for spotting numerical mistakes.
Ultimately, you will provide us with accurate quantitative information on financial position, liquidity and cash flows of our business, while ensuring we’re compliant with all tax regulations.
- Manage all accounting transactions
- Prepare budget forecasts
- Publish financial statements in time
- Handle monthly, quarterly and annual closings
- Reconcile accounts payable and receivable
- Ensure timely bank payments
- Compute taxes and prepare tax returns
- Manage balance sheets and profit/loss statements
- Report on the company’s financial health and liquidity
- Audit financial transactions and documents
- Reinforce financial data confidentiality and conduct database backups when necessary
- Comply with financial policies and regulations
Requirements and skills
- Work experience as an Accountant
- Excellent knowledge of accounting regulations and procedures, including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Hands-on experience with accounting software like FreshBooks and QuickBooks
- Advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables
- Experience with general ledger functions
- Strong attention to detail and good analytical skills
- BSc in Accounting, Finance or relevant degree
- Additional certification (CPA or CMA) is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does an Accountant do?
An Accountant takes care of all financial matters within a company, like keeping and interpreting financial records. They may oversee responsibilities like reconciling bank statements and calculating payroll to keep their company in strong financial standing.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Accountant?
The responsibilities of an Accountant can be quite extensive, from auditing financial documents and conducting financial audits to reconciling bank statements and calculating taxes when filling out annual returns.
What makes a good Accountant?
A good accountant is not just someone with finance skills but also an expert in human relations and communication. They must have exceptional integrity as they oversee financial records, and they must have strong communication skills to present detailed information in a manner that’s easy to understand.
Who does Accountant work with?
Accountants work with business leaders in small companies or with managers in large corporations to ensure the quality of their financial records. Accountants may also collaborate with individual team leaders to retrieve and audit financial records throughout the year.