These Junior Accountant interview questions can help you hire a qualified candidate. Adjust them to suit your needs and requirements.
Junior Accountant Interview Questions
Junior accountants perform basic accounting and financial tasks under supervision of senior accountants. A degree in accounting is essential. Since it’s an entry-level position, they typically won’t have more than five years of experience. You can screen for candidates who have completed internships or have gained some work experience at a company or department similar to what you are hiring for.
During the interview, try to focus on how their education or previous job has prepared them for this role. What they lack in experience, they should make up for in competence and passion to learn. You can ask about important concepts and basic accounting procedures but try to focus on actual skills.
The candidate you’ll end up hiring should have an analytical mind and aptitude in math. You should also value great organizational ability and attention to detail. It’s a good idea to look for ease in using computer programs, particularly Excel, and treat knowledge of an accounting software as a big plus.
Operational and Situational questions
- What’s important to consider when updating a journal entry?
- What steps are needed for bank reconciliation?
- How familiar are you with SFAS (Statement of Financial Accounting Standards)?
- Have you used any ERP systems (e.g. Tally) before?
- How do you prepare yourself for a senior accountant position?
- What actions do you take to protect confidential information?
- How do you prioritize your tasks?
- What do you do to avoid mistakes in your job?
- If you realized you made a mistake on a report, what would you do?
- If a manager pressured you to provide them with information they don’t have permission for, how would you handle it?
- Tell me about a difficult project you worked on during your studies/internship/etc.
- Describe the accounting project you are most proud of
- What was the most important thing you learned during your internship? What was your most significant contribution?
- Have you ever made a mistake due to misunderstanding instructions? What have you learned?
- Have you ever been asked to do something that you didn’t agree with? What did you do?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial