Use these sample Finance Clerk interview questions to identify candidates who can perform basic accounting and finance administration tasks. Similar job titles include Accounts Receivable Clerk.
Finance Clerk Interview Questions
Finance Clerks conduct basic financial transactions and perform administrative tasks. They maintain billing records, calculate taxes and process receipts.
An accounting degree is not usually required for this role, but familiarity with financial regulations, like Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), will help candidates stand out. Excellent math skills are also essential. Consider testing candidates on their knowledge of MS Excel and/or Google Sheets.
Your future hires will handle sensitive financial data and keep organized records. Look for responsible people who exude professionalism. Your ideal candidates are detail-oriented and good multi-taskers. Those who prefer a structured work environment with organized procedures are more likely to stay motivated while performing repetitive tasks. If the position involves talking to clients, evaluate candidates’ communication and customer service skills.
Operational and Situational questions
- You need to retrieve data from a spreadsheet, but there are some formulas you don’t recognize. How would you go about getting what you need?
- A coworker asks to see the expense reports of another department. How would you respond?
- If you realized you made a mistake on a report, what would you do?
- What information would you need to compile a report on accounts receivable?
- What would you do if our system broke down while you were in the middle of a transaction? What would you tell a customer who was waiting for the transaction to go through?
- What would you do if your manager gave you inadequate instructions for a process you were unfamiliar with?
- What would you check first if you found a billing discrepancy?
- Describe your main duties as a Finance Clerk.
- What accounting software have you used?
- What recordkeeping system do you use to ensure records remain confidential?
- Describe the process of a bank reconciliation.
- What types of documents do you need to verify an invoice?
- How do you ensure data entry accuracy?
- How do you prioritize your work when you have multiple duties?
- How do you stay focused when dealing with repetitive tasks?
- How do you learn about new finance regulations and laws?
- Describe a time when you had to complete a project under a tight deadline. How did you organize your schedule to make sure you wouldn’t fall behind?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial