This Accounts Payable Clerk job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Accounts Payable Clerk responsibilities include:
- Processing accounts and incoming payments in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Performing day to day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, and recording accounts payable data
- Preparing bills, invoices and bank deposits
We are looking for a skilled Accounts Payable Clerk to be responsible for processing all invoices received for payment and for undertaking the payment of all creditors in an accurate, efficient and timely manner.
- Process outgoing payments in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Perform day to day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, and recording accounts payable data
- Reconcile the accounts payable ledger to ensure that all bills and payments are accounted for and properly posted.
- Verify and investigate discrepancies, if any, by reconciling vendor accounts and monthly vendor statements
- Facilitate payment of invoices due by sending bill reminders and contacting clients
- Generate reports detailing accounts payables status
- Understand expense accounts and cost centers
- Understands compliance issues around accounts payable processes (W-9, sales tax, etc.)
- Proven working experience as Accounts Payable Clerk
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable principles
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- BSc degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
Frequently asked questions
What does an Accounts Payable Clerk do?
The role of an Accounts Payable Clerk is to provide financial and administrative support for the organization. They process payments, verify invoices and reconcile all expenses to keep track of what's going out of the business.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Accounts Payable Clerk?
Accounts Payable Clerks are responsible for receiving, processing, and verifying invoices related to accounts payables. They also track purchase orders and process payments that come into the company's accounting department from suppliers or customers.
What makes a good Accounts Payable Clerk?
A good accounts payable clerk produces accurate, timely, and valuable work. They must pay attention to detail. They may also be responsible for keeping up-to-date records of company purchases and organizing account statements that will help facilitate financial reports like profit margins.
Who does an Accounts Payable Clerk work with?
Account Payable Clerks typically work with the Head Accountant or Accounting Manager in various departments across the organization. They may collaborate closely with the CEO or other leadership team members in smaller organizations where there is no Head Accountant.