This Managing Director job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Managing Director responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing the company’s business strategies
- Providing strategic advice to the board and chairperson
- Preparing and implementing comprehensive business plans to facilitate achievement
We are looking for an experienced Managing Director to control and oversee all business operations, people and ventures. You will be the highest ranking manager in the organisation and will be responsible for the overall success of the business.
The ideal candidate will be a strategist and a leader able to steer the company to the most profitable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long term goals. Very strong crisis management skills will also be essential since the managing director is the one expected to “save” the company in times of need.
The goal is to ensure the company is constantly moving towards fulfilling its short-term and long-term objectives and does not diverge from its strategic guidelines.
- Develop and execute the company’s business strategies in order to attain the goals of the board and shareholders
- Provide strategic advice to the board and Chairperson so that they will have accurate view of the market and the company’s future
- Prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate achievement by planning cost-effective operations and market development activities
- Ensure company policies and legal guidelines are communicated all the way from the top down in the company and that they are followed at all times
- Communicate and maintain trust relationships with shareholders, business partners and authorities
- Oversee the company’s financial performance, investments and other business ventures
- Delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of executives providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance
- Read all submitted reports by lower rank managers to reward performance, prevent issues and resolve problems
- Act as the public speaker and public relations representative of the company in ways that strengthen its profile
- Analyze problematic situations and occurrences and provide solutions to ensure company survival and growth
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as Managing Director or other managerial position
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans
- Thorough knowledge of market changes and forces that influence the company
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and measures of performance
- Familiarity with corporate law and management best practices
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Managing Director do?
- Managing Directors oversee various groups of leaders within an organization. They work directly with the CEO, COO, and CFO of an organization to provide strategic advice and direction throughout the year.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Managing Director?
- A Managing Director will have a variety of duties depending on where they work, but they typically are responsible for developing the company’s strategies, providing strategic advice to various organizational leaders, and helping the company achieve its goals.
- What makes a good Managing Director?
- A good Managing Director must have excellent leadership skills since they work with many leaders within an organization. They must have superior empathy or social skills to build relationships between employees/clients and strong document writing abilities, which is essential when dealing with different types of tasks.
- Who does a Managing Director work with?
- A Managing Director works with many leaders in an organization like the CEO, CFO, and COO to develop a strategic vision and ensure the company reaches its goals each year.