This is a sample of Operations Manager interview questions you can use to identify qualified candidates for this position.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best Operations manager candidates. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Operations Manager Interview Questions
Operations Managers play an important role as they ensure smooth operation of all company procedures. Their role is to plan, oversee and coordinate day-to-day activities to improve effectiveness, productivity and performance.
You should look for candidates with broad experience and working knowledge of all organizational functions. Operations Managers are responsible for various tasks, from logistics to resources management and budget planning. Therefore, your ideal candidate should know how to tackle operational problems and be able to find effective solutions in a timely manner.
During your interview process, you should keep an eye out for candidates who are eager to step up when a challenge arises. Excellent numerical and interpersonal skills are also signs that your candidate is a good match for your Operations Manager position. For better results, tailor these questions to meet any specific tasks and requirements you have.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe the main daily tasks for an Operations Manager.
- What is budget planning and how do you handle it step-by-step?
- What is your experience with logistics management?
- Have you ever negotiated contracts with vendors? What’s the most effective approach?
- Which Management Information Systems have you previously used?
- Are you familiar with Cost Analysis tools? Mention any statistical tools you have experience working with.
- If your manager asked you to make a report about production costs, what method would you use?
- Which are, in your opinion, the most important financial management best practices?
- What does successful communication between different organizational functions/departments mean to you?
- How do support services contribute to achieving business goals? Give some examples.
- We want to ensure our confidential data is stored in a secure place. How would you cooperate with our IT team to achieve this?
- Have you ever successfully implemented a cost-cutting strategy?
- How big was the last team you worked with and what problems did you face?
- What’s your experience in making presentations?
- How do you manage 1:1 employee meetings?