This Assistant Manager job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages. Feel free to modify this template to include duties and responsibilities relating to retail store management. Similar job titles include Retail Manager and Store Manager.
Assistant Manager Responsibilities
- Assisting the manager in organizing, planning and implementing strategy
- Coordinating retail store operations
- Ensuring store schedules and objectives are met by employees
Hiring an Assistant manager? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a responsible Assistant Manager to help organize and run our retail stores and fill in for the Store Manager when needed. Your job will be highly important in ensuring the sales team meets its goals of efficiency and customer satisfaction.
Assistant Manager responsibilities include hiring and training sales associates, monitoring inventory and ordering merchandise based on demand. You will also research competitive products and analyze consumer behavior to ensure our store meets and exceeds client expectations.
Our ideal candidate will have retail manager skills with a sharp business mindset. You should also be skilled at organizing and solving problems. Interpersonal and mediation skills will also be very useful, since you’ll often be acting as a liaison between managers, employees and customers.
Ultimately, the duties of the Assistant Manager are to make sure our stores operate effectively, and that we keep our customers happy.
- Assist the Retail Store Manager in planning and implementing strategies to attract customers
- Coordinate daily customer service operations (e.g. sales processes, orders and payments)
- Track the progress of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual objectives
- Monitor and maintain store inventory
- Evaluate employee performance and identify hiring and training needs
- Supervise and motivate staff to perform their best
- Coach and support new and existing Sales Associates
- Monitor retail operating costs, budgets and resources
- Suggest sales training programs and techniques
- Communicate with clients and evaluate their needs
- Analyze consumer behavior and adjust product positioning
- Handle complaints from customers
- Research emerging products and use information to update the store’s merchandise
- Create reports, analyze and interpret retail data, like revenues, expenses and competition
- Conduct regular audits to ensure the store is functionable and presentable
- Make sure all employees adhere to company’s policies and guidelines
- Act as our store’s representative and set an example for our staff
- Proven experience as a Retail Assistant Manager or similar position
- Experience with recruiting and performance evaluation processes
- Familiarity with financial and customer service principles
- Good math skills with the ability to create and analyze reports, spreadsheets and sales statistics
- Proficient user of MS Office (MS Excel in particular)
- Leadership and organizational abilities
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Problem-solving attitude
- Flexibility to work in shifts
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- Assess relevant skills and qualifications with our Assistant Manager interview questions.