Baker job description
A Baker is a professional who prepares and develops baked goods to add to a bakery's menu. They may also decorate various pies using pastry bags and prepare garnishes as needed when baking cakes, pastries, and many other dishes.
Use this Baker job description template to hire qualified candidates for your bakery, pastry shop or restaurant. Feel free to modify job duties based on your needs.
Baker responsibilities include:
- Weighing flour and other ingredients to prepare dough
- Baking different bread types, like pretzels, baguettes and multigrain breads
- Decorating cakes with glazes, icings, buttercream and edible toppings, like flowers
We are looking for a Baker to prepare different types of bread and a wide range of pastries, like cookies, cakes and pies.
Baker responsibilities include opening the bakery early in the morning, mixing dough, preparing fillings and glazing pastries. To be successful in this role, you should have work experience as a Baker and be able to decorate cakes using creative techniques.
Ultimately, you will make sure we offer fresh and delicious goods to our customers on a daily basis.
- Open the bakery early in the morning
- Clean kitchen equipment and tools before use
- Weigh flour and other ingredients to prepare dough
- Bake different bread types, like pretzels, baguettes and multigrain breads
- Adjust oven temperatures to ensure proper baking
- Mix various ingredients to create fillings for cakes and pies (e.g. chocolate ganache, caramel sauce and fruits)
- Decorate cakes with glazes, icings, buttercream and edible toppings, like flowers
- Shape dough to prepare different types of pastries, including croissants, cookies and sweet rolls
- Prepare custom-made pastries based on customers’ preferences (e.g. birthday cakes)
- Recommend recipes to renew our menu and attract more customers (e.g. gluten-free or vegan desserts)
- Track food supplies and place orders, as needed
Requirements and skills
- Experience as a Baker, Pastry Chef or similar role
- Familiarity with all professional kitchen equipment, including mixers, blenders and dough sheeters
- Understanding of food safety practices
- Experience with cake decoration techniques
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to remain calm and focused in a fast-paced environment
- Team spirit, with a customer-focused attitude
- Flexibility to work in early morning shifts
- Certification from a culinary school is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Baker do?
Bakers bake and sell fresh baked goods throughout the day and night, sometimes on weekends. They bake pastries and pies and take personalized requests from customers. Bakers schedule themselves to work shifts during early mornings or late evenings, which means they may have less time off than other employees.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Baker?
Bakers must know how to mix different ingredients to prepare delicious loaves of bread for customers. Some types include pretzels, baguettes, and multigrain loaves while taking care to ensure taste quality and appearance.
What makes a Good Baker?
Bakers can be on their feet for hours at a time, making sure that food gets to its destination without touching anything too messy or dangerous along the way. To succeed as a baker, one must work consistently, calling for stamina and strength.
Who does a Baker work with?
A Baker works alongside a Chef, who often uses Baker's products in their work. Whether it be cakes or bread, the two professionals work in tandem and provide each other with products and resources they may need to make a particular food.
Hiring Baker job description
Post this Baker job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.