Use this Sushi Chef job description template to attract qualified cooks for your sushi, Japanese or Asian restaurant.
Sushi Chef responsibilities include:
- Creating a rich sushi menu with various main ingredients and raw fish (for example, salmon, tuna, unagi)
- Preparing all types of sushi, including maki, nigiri and sashimi
- Selecting fresh fruits and vegetables to make high-quality dishes (including avocado, mango and carrots)
We are looking for a Sushi Chef to join our culinary team and prepare delicious plates for our guests.
Sushi Chef responsibilities include handling a wide range of raw fish and other ingredients, managing food stock and working with an attention to detail to fulfill all orders within quality standards. To be successful in this role, you should have experience with Japanese cuisine and be available to work during our opening hours.
Ultimately, you will help us establish our reputation as one of the best sushi places in the area and increase our clientele.
- Create a rich sushi menu with various main ingredients and raw fish (for example, salmon, tuna, unagi)
- Prepare all types of sushi, including maki, nigiri and sashimi
- Select fresh fruits and vegetables to make high-quality dishes (like avocado, mango and carrots)
- Add additional flavors to sushi rolls with ginger, rice vinegar, wasabi and soy sauce, when appropriate
- Manage food prep activities, like boiling rice
- Coordinate with our wait staff to ensure proper cooking, considering special requests and food allergies
- Prepare appetizers, soups and salads that are close to the philosophy of Japanese cuisine
- Monitor food stock and place orders, as needed
- Recommend new, modern recipes, like sushi burgers
- Maintain hygiene principles in all cooking areas and clean your space at the end of the shift
- Work experience as a Sushi Chef or at an Asian restaurant
- Good knowledge of various sushi types and sushi-rolling techniques
- Ability to work both fast and accurately
- Team spirit
- Availability to work during business hours, including weekends and evenings
- Flexibility to take on various shifts
- Certification from a culinary school is a plus