This Sous Chef job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Sous Chef responsibilities include:
- Helping in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus
- Producing high quality plates both design and taste wise
- Ensuring that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards
We are looking for a professional Sous Chef to be the second in command in our kitchen, following our Executive Chef’s specifications and guidelines. The successful candidate will employ its culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our customers’ satisfaction.
- Help in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus
- Produce high quality plates both design and taste wise
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards
- Fill in for the Executive Chef in planning and directing food preparation when necessary
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and seize control of any problematic situation
- Manage and train kitchen staff, establish working schedule and assess staff’s performance
- Order supplies to stock inventory appropriately
- Comply with and enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
Requirements and skills
- X+ years of experience as a Sous Chef
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- BS degree in Culinary science or related certificate would be a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Sous Chef do?
A Sous Chef plans menus and daily specials and monitors ingredient stocks to ensure consistency across all areas in your kitchen, which is crucial for peak performance. They also organize a cook's schedules so nothing falls through the cracks.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sous Chef?
The Sous Chef is in charge of food preparation, planning, and directing it to whichever kitchen staff they choose. This can include a significant degree of supervision as the assistant executive chef will help with menu decisions and inventory management while being an influential member of a restaurant.
What makes a Good Sous Chef?
A successful Sous Chef must have creativity in choosing menu items and leadership skills with staff members from various backgrounds who may have different experience levels. It's essential for them also to have excellent organizational abilities so that everything runs smoothly when pressure arises during busy periods.
Who does a Sous Chef work with?
A Sous Chef works alongside a Chef, who often relies on the Sous Chef's ability to organize their busy schedule. While the Chef is busy preparing and applying the finishing touches on dishes, the Sous Chef makes sure they get it all done in a timely and reasonable manner.