Use this Sommelier job description template to attract and hire wine experts for your restaurant, hotel or resort. Feel free to customize job duties and requirements based on your needs.
Sommelier responsibilities include:
- Creating and updating the wine list in coordination with chefs and the Food and Beverage Manager
- Recommending food and wine pairings
- Advising guests on wines based on their personal tastes and food choices
We are looking for a Sommelier to act as our wine expert and create wine lists that pair with our food menus.
Sommelier responsibilities include recommending wine varieties to our guests, supervising wine serving and collaborating with winemakers to renew our selections and achieve better prices. To be qualified for this role, you should have relevant experience in hospitality or a vineyard and be available to work during business hours.
Ultimately, you will delight our guests by helping them choose the best wine to complement their fare.
- Create and update the wine list in coordination with chefs and the Food and Beverage Manager
- Recommend food and wine pairings
- Advise guests on wines based on their personal tastes and food choices
- Inform guests about different varieties of wines and prices
- Ensure wines are served at the right temperature and within the proper glassware
- Store open bottles properly to maintain strong taste
- Manage wine cellar and ensure it’s fully-stocked
- Train wait staff on available wines
- Negotiate purchase prices with vendors
- Organize wine tasting days or “wine of the month” events
- Ask guests for ID to verify legal drinking age
- Comply with all health and safety regulations
- Experience as a Sommelier, Wine Steward/Stewardess or similar role
- Ability to create tasteful food and wine pairings
- Extensive knowledge of different wines and which regions produce each type
- Knowledge of local vineyards and wineries
- Understanding of the winemaking process
- Good communication skills
- Availability to work during opening hours, including weekends and holidays
- Flexibility to travel occasionally to meet with wine producers and visit wine-tasting events
- Certification as a Sommelier or degree in hospitality is a plus