Looking to hire an HR professional but are not sure where to start from? Download for free this HR Generalist job description sample, customize based on your needs and post on job boards and careers pages to attract qualified candidates.
HR Generalist responsibilities include:
- Administering compensation and benefit plans
- Assisting in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- Conducting employee onboarding and help plan training & development
Hiring an HR generalist? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a (Human Resources) HR Generalist to join our team and implement various human resources programs.
What is an HR Generalist?
HR Generalists have a broad knowledge of human resources functions, from hiring to onboarding and from employee compensation to evaluation. If you have a passion for HR, are familiar with labor law and look to kickstart your career in the field, this is the place to be.
What does an HR Generalist do?
Your role as an HR Generalist will be far from one-dimensional. You’ll undertake a wide range of HR tasks, like organizing trainings, administering employee benefits and leaves and crafting HR policies. You will use Human Resources Information Systems to ensure all employee records are up-to-date and confidential. And you’ll also act as the main point of contact for employees’ queries on HR-related topics.
The goal is to ensure the HR department’s operations will be running smoothly and effectively to deliver maximum value to the organization as a whole.
- Administer compensation and benefit plans
- Assist in talent acquisition and recruitment processes
- Conduct employee onboarding and help organize training & development initiatives
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leaves and compensation and resolve any issues that may arise
- Promote HR programs to create an efficient and conflict-free workplace
- Assist in development and implementation of human resource policies
- Undertake tasks around performance management
- Gather and analyze data with useful HR metrics, like time to hire and employee turnover rates
- Organize quarterly and annual employee performance reviews
- Maintain employee files and records in electronic and paper form
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities
- Ensure compliance with labor regulations
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as an HR Generalist
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of employment/labor laws
- Outstanding knowledge of MS Office; HRIS systems (e.g. PeopleSoft) will be a plus
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Aptitude in problem-solving
- Desire to work as a team with a results driven approach
- BSc/BA in Business administration or relevant field
- Additional HR training will be a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Human Resource Generalist do?
- A Human Resource Generalist ensures that all HR-related policies and procedures comply with standard legal practices. They create onboarding plans for new hires to educate them on company guidelines and the internal operations of their department or office.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Human Resource Generalist?
- A Human Resource Generalist has a variety of responsibilities depending on their organization. Typically, they are responsible for organizing meetings, recruiting new employees and processing documents for regulatory or legal requirements.
- What makes a good Human Resource Generalist?
- A good Human Resource Generalist needs to have excellent communication skills to convey information to employees. They also need technical knowledge about HR-related issues and how legal issues apply to their organization and employees.
- Who does a Human Resource Generalist work with?
- A Human Resource Generalist typically works to process employee payments, benefits and leads training programs for their organization. An HR Director usually supervises them to ensure excellent company culture and employee performance.