This HR Generalist interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Make sure that you are interviewing the best HR generalists. Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
HR Generalist Interview Questions
The HR Generalist works with upper HR Management on a broad range of responsibilities including maintaining employee records, preparing reports, benefits administration, recruitment, onboarding, performance management, and more.
Candidates for this position should have human resources experience and relevant academic degrees, such as a BSc/BA in Business Administration. Additional HR training and certifications are desirable and demonstrate a commitment to the field.
The following open-ended and situational questions will help you distinguish hands-on HR experience from theoretical experience. Your most promising candidates will have strong interpersonal skills and will be able to express their logic clearly and concisely. They will be able to speak about HR issues, often drawing from what they’ve learned on the job. They will be familiar with your company and will contribute insightful questions to your conversation.
Operational and Situational questions
- How has your work experience and training prepared you for this position?
- What factors do you consider before drafting any new HR policy?
- How would you implement a new HR policy?
- What HR tools do you prefer? Can you recommend one system per function for us?
- What’s your approach to putting together benefits packages?
- How do you define company culture? How do you contribute to nurturing a positive company culture?
- Describe a time you worked on a challenging recruitment effort. How did you overcome it?
- Describe a time you made a misstep that resulted in regulatory issues. How did you handle it?
- An employee submits a sexual harassment complaint. What steps would you take to look into it?
- How do you stay current and ensure compliance with national regulatory laws?
- What’s your opinion on 360 degree performance reviews?
- What steps would you take to terminate an employee?
- Have you ever encountered a conflict of interest at work? How did you handle it?
- What’s your impression of our employer brand? How would you improve it?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial