Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Make sure that you are interviewing the best HR consultants. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
HR Consultant Interview Questions
Human resources consultants plan and implement initiatives to solve human capital problems and promote a better workplace. They can work independently or in consultancy firms where they offer services on a project basis.
A bachelor’s degree is always required for this role. Master’s/ MBA and certification can give applicants a head start in the screening process. Most human resources candidates will have worked in-house before moving into HR consulting. They may specialize in particular functions such as recruitment, legal compliance etc.
Direct the interview towards case questions or actual case studies. Great human resources candidates can employ a structured and critical thought process and explain how they reach conclusions. They should demonstrate deep theoretical knowledge and strategic acumen. Ask about past jobs too. Unless hiring for junior positions, you’ll want someone with hands-on experience on solving HR issues as well as coaching clients in various topics. Project management, excellent communication and relationship building skills are all critical.
Operational and Situational questions
- Here’s a short case study about a client. How would you advise them?
- If you disagreed with a team member about something and the deadline was getting close, what would you do?
- Imagine a client is reluctant to accept your proposed solutions. How do you handle this?
- A client is going through a merger with another company. What would you advise them to pay attention to concerning the workforce? How would you help them in shaping/maintaining company culture?
- If a client asked you to propose some IT solutions for HR operations, how would you decide on your suggestions?
- Imagine a client asks for your advice in a subject you aren’t familiar with. How do you handle it?
- How do you stay current with changes in labor regulations?
- What metrics do you use to evaluate a problematic situation?
- What do you need to know before starting an investigation for a client?
- What can be done in your experience to deal with low employee morale?
- Describe a time when you had to solve a problem with a tight deadline
- Tell me about a time you produced a solution for a client that saved them money
- Have you ever made a mistake during a project? What did that teach you?
- Talk about a time you provided an innovative solution when conventional approach failed
- Describe a time you had to handle various projects at once. How did you prioritize tasks?
- Have you ever had to face an ethical dilemma while working on a project for a client? How did you resolve it?