This Dispatcher job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Dispatcher responsibilities include:
- Receiving emergency and non-emergency calls and record significant information
- Addressing problems and requests by transmitting information or providing solutions
- Receiving and dispatching orders for products or deliveries
We are looking for a reliable Dispatcher to act as a communication point for emergency and non-emergency calls. You will receive requests, transmit messages and track vehicles.
The ideal candidate must be primarily an excellent communicator and able to remain calm and composed, especially in emergency situations. You must be able to multi-task as well as take the appropriate action with little supervision.
The goal is to enable different parties to communicate well by ensuring the accurate and timely transmission of information.
- Receive emergency and non-emergency calls and record significant information
- Address problems and requests by transmitting information or providing solutions
- Receive and dispatch orders for products or deliveries
- Prioritize calls according to urgency and importance
- Use radio, phone or computer to send crews, vehicles or other field units to appropriate locations
- Monitor the route and status of field units to coordinate and prioritize their schedule
- Provide field units with information about orders, traffic, obstacles and requirements
- Enter data in computer system and maintain logs and records of calls, activities and other information
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as dispatcher or relevant position
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of relevant methods (CAD)
- Fast typing with experience in data entry
- Knowledge of procedures and guideline for emergency situations
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Outstanding organizational and multitasking abilities
- Active listener with excellent communication skills
- Sound judgement and critical thinking
- High school diploma
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Dispatcher do?
- Dispatchers are responsible for receiving emergency and non-emergency calls from people in potential danger. They manage the call by ensuring that proper response teams will be there to take care of them, while also maintaining confidentiality throughout all interactions.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Dispatcher?
- A Dispatchers responsibilities include receiving emergency and non-emergency calls, monitoring driver logs, keeping records, addressing problems, and dispatching appropriate team members. Their duties can also include monitoring weather reports or notifying authorities if necessary.
- What makes a good Dispatcher?
- Good Dispatchers are effective communicators, organized, can remain calm during stressful situations, and have superior multi-tasking skills. They must be able to coordinate schedules, handle calls and use the radio, phone, and computer technology.
- Who does a Dispatcher work with?
- Day-to-day Dispatchers can come into contact with various team members such as Drivers and Transportation Managers.