Use this Transportation Manager job description template to attract qualified candidates for your open roles.
What is a Transportation Manager?
A Transportation Manager is a professional who oversees the planning, coordination, and execution of product shipments from production to the end-user. They are responsible for managing logistics and ensuring that shipments are handled efficiently, safely, and within budget.
What does a Transportation Manager do?
A Transportation Manager plans and supervises shipments, schedules routes, tracks orders, coordinates with warehouse workers, monitors transportation costs, ensures compliance with shipping regulations, and maintains records. They also handle logistics software, conduct safety audits, and organize training sessions for employees. Their role is crucial in managing the transportation aspect of the supply chain and ensuring smooth and timely delivery of goods.
Transportation Manager responsibilities include:
- Planning and supervising the shipments from production to the end-user
- Scheduling daily and weekly routes
- Tracking orders using functional systems (e.g. barcodes and tracking software)
We are seeking an experienced Transportation Manager to join our team and oversee our daily product shipments.
As a successful candidate, you will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of supply chain management and possess knowledge of warehouse procedures, including inventory management, order dispatching, and vehicle tracking.
Your familiarity with safety protocols and legal regulations will ensure the smooth and secure handling of all shipments.
In this role, you will be responsible for optimizing the efficiency of our transportation operations while adhering to budgetary constraints.
Your attention to detail and strategic planning skills will be crucial in ensuring that our shipments are promptly delivered, safely handled, and cost-effective.
- Plan and supervise the shipments from production to the end-user
- Schedule daily and weekly routes
- Track orders using functional systems (e.g. barcodes and tracking software)
- Coordinate with Warehouse Workers to ensure proper storage and distribution of products
- Monitor and report on transportation costs
- Ensure shipping documents are properly filed
- Report maintenance and repair needs for transportation vehicles and equipment
- Research and suggest cost-effective shipping methods
- Conduct regular safety audits on equipment
- Organize training sessions for employees (e.g. proper use of machines and handling of hazardous material)
- Keep organized records of vehicles, schedules and completed orders
- Ensure compliance with company policies and shipping legislation
- Stay up-to-date with safety regulations
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Transportation Manager, Shipping Manager or similar role
- Solid knowledge of supply chain management
- Experience preparing and tracking orders
- Familiarity with logistics software, like Freightview and 3PLink
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to supervise and train staff
- Problem-solving abilities
- High school diploma
- BSc in Supply Chain, Logistics or relevant field is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Transportation Manager do?
- A Transportation Manager plans and oversees the shipment of products, coordinates routes, tracks orders, and ensures compliance with shipping regulations.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Transportation Manager?
- The duties of a Transportation Manager include supervising shipments, scheduling routes, tracking orders, coordinating with warehouse workers, monitoring costs, and maintaining records.
- What makes a good Transportation Manager?
- A good Transportation Manager possesses knowledge of supply chain management, has strong organizational skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to supervise and train staff.
- Who does a Transportation Manager work with?
- A Transportation Manager works with warehouse workers, logistics personnel, suppliers, drivers, and other stakeholders involved in the transportation process.
- What skills should a Transportation Manager have?
- A Transportation Manager should have knowledge of supply chain management, experience in preparing and tracking orders, familiarity with logistics software, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to supervise and train staff.