This Shipping Manager job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a Shipping Manager?
A Shipping Manager is a professional who oversees daily shipping and distribution operations within an organization. They are responsible for tracking orders, managing shipping documents, directing package flow, and ensuring timely delivery of complete orders.
What does a Shipping Manager do?
A Shipping Manager is responsible for using software to track, check, prioritize, and route orders. They manage important shipping documents such as advanced shipping notice, pick slips, and bills of lading. Additionally, they oversee the entire process of preparing packages for shipment, inspect completed orders, supervise subordinates, control the shipping department’s budget, collaborate with other managers, resolve order-related issues, ensure compliance with regulations and company policies, and report activities and issues to management.
Shipping Manager responsibilities include:
- Using software to track, check, prioritize and route orders
- Managing all important documents such as advanced shipping notice, pick slips, bills of lading etc.
- Directing the flow of packages from preparation to shipment
We are seeking an experienced Shipping Manager to oversee our daily shipping and distribution operations. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring that all orders are shipped and delivered promptly.
The ideal candidate for this position is analytical, well-organized, and possesses excellent communication skills. They should be comfortable with managing paperwork and utilizing information systems. A strong understanding of shipping and receiving procedures is also crucial.
Your primary goal as a Shipping Manager will be to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of our shipping processes. By coordinating with various teams and utilizing your expertise, you will play a vital role in maintaining the timely delivery of orders and enhancing customer satisfaction.
If you have a proven track record in shipping management and possess the necessary skills and qualifications, we encourage you to apply. Join our team and contribute to the seamless flow of our shipping operations.
- Use software to track, check, prioritize and route orders
- Manage all important documents such as advanced shipping notice, pick slips, bills of lading etc.
- Direct the flow of packages from preparation to shipment
- Inspect labels, barcodes and other features of completed orders
- Supervise and lead subordinates (receiving clerks, order pickers etc.)
- Control budget of the shipping department
- Collaborate with warehouse, purchasing and other managers to optimize processes
- Resolve issues regarding shipped orders
- Ensure compliance to legal regulations and company policies
- Report to management on activities and issues
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as shipping manager
- Solid knowledge of logistics procedures
- Experience in using EDI and preparing shipping documents (e.g. ASN)
- Computer savvy with excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel)
- Good understanding of budgeting and reporting
- Experience in directing and evaluating subordinates
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving abilities
- High school diploma; BSc/BA in supply chain, logistics or relative field is a definite plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Shipping Manager do?
- A Shipping Manager oversees daily shipping and distribution operations, ensuring timely delivery of complete orders and managing shipping documents and package flow.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Shipping Manager?
- The duties and responsibilities of a Shipping Manager include tracking orders, managing shipping documents, directing package flow, inspecting completed orders, supervising subordinates, controlling the shipping department's budget, resolving order-related issues, and ensuring compliance with regulations and company policies.
- What makes a good Shipping Manager?
- A good Shipping Manager is analytical, well-organized, and excels in communication. They have solid knowledge of logistics procedures, experience in using shipping software and preparing shipping documents, and possess excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Who does a Shipping Manager work with?
- A Shipping Manager works with warehouse staff, purchasing managers, and other managers to optimize shipping processes and ensure effective coordination between departments.
- What skills should a Shipping Manager have?
- A Shipping Manager should have proven experience in shipping management, knowledge of logistics procedures, proficiency in using shipping software and preparing shipping documents, excellent organizational and communication skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and a high level of computer literacy.