This Category Manager job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a Category Manager?
A Category Manager is a professional responsible for managing a specific group or category of products within a company. They analyze industry and consumer trends, develop strategies, and oversee pricing, promotion, and product range management to maximize sales and profitability.
What does a Category Manager do?
A Category Manager analyzes data and insights to identify industry and consumer trends, devises long-term strategies for product categories, develops exit strategies for unsuccessful products, fosters relationships with vendors, determines product positioning, collaborates with marketing teams, and forecasts product demand. They are responsible for the overall management and profitability of a specific product category within a company.
Category Manager responsibilities include:
- Analyzing data or insights to determine industry and consumer trends
- Devising long-term development strategies for product categories
- Developing exit strategies for unsuccessful products
We are looking for a Category Manager to manage a group or category of products for our company. You will be the one responsible for the pricing and overall promotion of a product category to maximize consumer appeal. Relationships with vendors and product range management will also be part of your duties.
An excellent category manager must have extensive experience in understanding consumer needs and the retail environment. They must have a commercial mindset and full comprehension of marketing and sales principles. Exceptional communication skills are also key for category managers.
The goal is to increase sales and profitability of business to drive sustainable growth.
- Analyze data or insights to determine industry and consumer trends
- Devise long-term development strategies for product categories
- Develop exit strategies for unsuccessful products
- Foster trust relationships with vendors to achieve better pricing and quality of services
- Place appropriate orders to ensure product availability that meets consumer demands
- Determine the positioning of a product category to maximize visibility
- Liaise with marketing teams to determine competitive pricing and promotional activities of a product category
- Collaborate with buyers and merchandisers to expand product categories
- Make forecasts for product demand to ensure the sustainability of inventory
- Assume responsibility of budget development and revenue for category
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as category manager or similar role
- Solid knowledge of category management, marketing and sales principles
- Understanding of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Proficient in MS Office
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability
- Excellent communication and people skills
- BSc/BA in business administration, marketing or related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Category Manager do?
- A Category Manager analyzes industry and consumer trends, develops strategies for product categories, manages product pricing and promotion, fosters vendor relationships, and ensures product availability to meet consumer demands.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Category Manager?
- The duties of a Category Manager include analyzing data, devising long-term strategies, developing exit strategies for unsuccessful products, managing vendor relationships, determining product positioning, collaborating with marketing teams, and forecasting product demand.
- What makes a good Category Manager?
- A good Category Manager has extensive experience in understanding consumer needs and the retail environment. They possess a commercial mindset, strong knowledge of marketing and sales principles, excellent communication skills, and strategic thinking abilities.
- Who does a Category Manager work with?
- A Category Manager works with various stakeholders within the company, including marketing teams, buyers, merchandisers, and vendors. They collaborate closely with these individuals to ensure the success of the product category.
- What skills should a Category Manager have?
- A Category Manager should have skills in category management, data analysis, forecasting, marketing, sales, and strategic planning. Strong communication, analytical thinking, and relationship-building abilities are also essential for this role.