This Merchandiser job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customise for your company.
Merchandiser responsibilities include:
- Planning and developing merchandising strategies
- Analyzing sales figures, customers reactions and market trends to anticipate product needs
- Collaborating with buyers, suppliers, distributors and analysts to negotiate prices, quantities and time-scales
We are looking for an experienced Merchandiser to produce sales by providing point-of-purchase and shelf management services. You will get the right product, in the right place, time, quantity and price.
- Plan and develop merchandising strategies that balance customers’ expectations and company’s objectives
- Analyse sales figures, customers reactions and market trends to anticipate product needs and plan product ranges/stock
- Collaborate with buyers, suppliers, distributors and analysts to negotiate prices, quantities and time-scales
- Maximise customer interest and sales levels by displaying products appropriately
- Produce layout plans for stores and maintain store shelves and inventory
- Forecast profits/sales and plan budgets
- Monitor stock movement and consider markdowns, promotions, price changes, clear outs etc
- Build constructive customer relationships and team with channel partners to build pipeline and close deals
- Remain up to date with industry’s best practices
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in merchandising
- Highly creative with experience in identifying target audiences and devising campaigns that engage, inform and motivate
- Up-to-date with the latest merchandising trends and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong listening, presentation and decision making skills
- Commercial acumen and the ability to “decode” customers
- BS degree in Marketing or related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Merchandiser do?
- A Merchandiser ensures that the shelves of a retail store are stocked with products and displays them accordingly for customers. They also track inventory levels, report any issues or shortages to management and clean up unwanted items from flagrant violations in-store decorum.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Merchandiser?
- A Merchandiser is responsible for planning product ranges and managing budgets on behalf of organizations to help predict sales and make smarter decisions in the future.
- What makes a good Merchandiser?
- A good Merchandiser needs to understand the products and styles in their market to help their customers choose the right products for their needs. They also need to have an analytical mind because data helps them identify trends in the market with this goal by informing market forecasts and ensuring that merchandise is confirmed before being promoted in certain areas.
- Who does a Merchandiser work with?
- A Merchandiser will be working with a Sales Representative to purchase the necessary product, and they work closely with buyers to ensure that the company makes a profit.