This Visual Merchandiser job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Visual Merchandiser responsibilities include:
- Defining, designing and implementing a creative visual merchandising strategy
- Creating appealing and eye-catching visual displays that lead the customer through the entire store
- Producing window displays, signs, interior displays, floor plans and special promotions displays
We are looking for a creative retail Visual Merchandiser to increase sales, get buyer’s attention and to provide an excellent in-store experience.
The goal is to use visual merchandising to convert window shoppers into prospects, drive branding and sales objectives and maximize profitability.
- Define, design and implement a creative visual merchandising strategy
- Create appealing and eye-catching visual displays that lead the customer through the entire store
- Produce window displays, signs, interior displays, floor plans and special promotions displays
- Identify key messages and set a clear image of the end result
- Come up with, revise and present design ideas with assistant merchandisers
- Act in alignment to the organization’s culture, products, image and target market
- Monitor costs and work within budget
- Oversee the production and brief staff on arranging displays
- Change displays to promote new product launches and reflect festive or seasonal themes
- Liaise with suppliers and source elements
- Research lifestyle, demographics and design trends
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Visual Merchandiser or Visual Manager
- Demonstrable visual design skills with a strong retail merchandising portfolio
- Solid experience in field visual merchandising, including window displays, signs, interior displays and space utilisation
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, or other visual design tools
- Knowledge of current visual merchandising trends and best practices
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Ability to analyze sales merchandising reports and survey results
- BS degree in visual merchandising, fashion merchandising, exhibition design, visual communications or similar
Frequently asked questions
What does a Visual Merchandiser do?
Visual Merchandisers are instrumental to any retail brand, designing and promoting products in-store or online. They work closely with brands to create visually compelling content that will get shoppers excited about their latest releases before they've even hit shelves.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Visual Merchandiser?
A Visual Merchandiser is responsible for planning and building displays that maximize impact on a day-to-day basis. They move equipment, create signage, arrange lighting and work with suppliers -all while maintaining close connections at wider retail levels such as negotiating prices or discussing marketing strategies.
What makes a good Visual Merchandiser?
A good Visual Merchandiser has the right blend of product knowledge, style, marketing skills, and design sense to succeed in this career. They must be familiar with the store’s products and current trends, create displays that are both enticing and well presented so that they are attractive to customers. They are creative but remain focused on showing off the store’s products.
Who does a Visual Merchandiser work with?
They work closely with Inventory Managers, Retail Buyers, and Suppliers. Their chain of command would include the visual merchandising team, likely a Team Lead, and then their Visual Merchandising Manager.