This Cashier job description sample is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. It’s easy to customize with key cashier job duties and responsibilities for your company or retail store.
Cashier responsibilities include:
- Managing transactions with customers using cash registers
- Scanning goods and ensuring pricing is accurate
- Collecting payments whether in cash or credit
Hiring a Cashier? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a Cashier to manage all transactions with customers accurately and efficiently.
Cashier responsibilities include receiving payments and issuing receipts, gift-wrapping packages and keeping track of all cash and credit transactions. To be successful in this role, you should have previous experience in a customer service position and good knowledge of how cash registers operate. You should also be available to take evening and weekend shifts occasionally.
Ultimately, you’ll ensure all transactions run smoothly and will help us maximize customer satisfaction.
- Manage transactions with customers using cash registers
- Scan goods and ensure pricing is accurate
- Collect payments whether in cash or credit
- Issue receipts, refunds, change or tickets
- Redeem stamps and coupons
- Cross-sell products and introduce new ones
- Resolve customer complaints, guide them and provide relevant information
- Greet customers when entering or leaving the store
- Maintain clean and tidy checkout areas
- Track transactions on balance sheets and report any discrepancies
- Bag, box or gift-wrap packages
- Handle merchandise returns and exchanges
Requirements and skills
- Work experience as a Retail Cashier or in a similar role in sales
- Basic PC knowledge
- Familiarity with electronic equipment, like cash register and POS
- Good math skills
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Customer satisfaction-oriented
- High school degree
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Cashier do?
- Cashiers have many vital duties in retail-based establishments. They are responsible for processing and receiving payments and issuing receipts to customers as they leave with their purchases. Cashiers also handle additional items necessary, such as coupons, while providing an excellent customer service experience.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Cashier?
- A Cashier’s duties and responsibilities will vary based on the store but typically include greeting customers and checking out shoppers when they are ready to purchase items. Cashiers also answer questions about products for potential buyers, suggest options for items the shopper has selected, and address customer concerns when they return an item.
- What makes a good Cashier?
- A great Cashier is attentive to detail, customer-focused, and knowledgeable about the products available in the store. They also have to maintain composure in the face of angry, frustrated, or flustered customers.
- Who does a Cashier work with?
- A Cashier cooperates with other employees to ensure customers have an efficient and enjoyable shopping experience. They also interact directly with customers as they check out items to purchase. Cashiers work under a supervisor, Retail Manager, or other team leaders.