This Retail Sales Representative job description template will help you attract and hire qualified salespeople to provide excellent customer service and achieve sales quotas for your business. Similar job titles include Retail Sales Associate and Retail Sales Assistant.
Retail Sales Representative responsibilities include:
- Greeting and directing customers
- Providing accurate information (e.g. product features, pricing and after-sales services)
- Answering customers’ questions about specific products/services
We are looking for a Retail Sales Representative to provide excellent customer service and meet sales quotas for our business.
Candidates with strong communication skills who can make customers feel welcome in our store will stand out. You will help identify client needs, present and answer questions about our products and services and recommend solutions. A positive attitude and a desire to promptly resolve potential customer issues or complaints will make you successful in this role.
Ultimately, you will ensure that customers leave our store satisfied and you will contribute to the store’s profitability.
- Greet and direct customers
- Provide accurate information (e.g. product features, pricing and after-sales services)
- Answer customers’ questions about specific products/services
- Conduct price and feature comparisons to facilitate purchasing
- Cross-sell products
- Ensure racks are fully stocked
- Manage returns of merchandise
- Coordinate with the Retail Sales Representatives team to provide excellent customer service (especially during peak times)
- Inform customers about discounts and special offers
- Provide customer feedback to the Store Manager
- Stay up-to-date with new products/services
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Retail Sales Representative, Sales Associate or similar role
- Understanding of the retail sales process
- Familiarity with consumer behavior principles
- Knowledge of inventory stocking procedures
- Basic math skills
- Track record of achieving sales quotas
- Excellent communication skills, capable of building trusting relationships
- Ability to perform in fast-paced environments
- Flexibility to work various shifts
- High school degree
- BSc in Marketing or related field is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Retail Sales Representative do?
- A Retail Sales Representative assists customers by welcoming them, answering questions and managing financial transactions as well as driving sales through engagement and sharing product knowledge.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Retail Sales Representative?
- A retail sales associate is responsible for helping customers find the right product. They offer assistance and answer questions, so shoppers can make informed decisions about their purchase of merchandise. Duties include stocking shelves in a neat manner, ringing up purchases on registers as well as tagging products with prices to be displayed around the store or stocked away until needed again.
- What makes a good Retail Sales Representative?
- A good Retail Sales Representative requires a strong focus on interpersonal and communication skills. They also require a dedication to excellent customer service and the ability to handle money.
- Who does a Retail Sales Representative work with?
- A Retail Sales Representative works directly with customers who shop at the retail store. They can report to an immediate department supervisor or store manager, depending on the size of the store or company.