Sales Associate job description
A sales associate works closely with customers to determine their needs, answer their questions about your products and recommend the right solutions. A great sales associate can make a difference in your business' bottom line, so it's crucial to have a clear, well-written job description to attract the best candidates to the role.
This Sales Associate job description template includes key sales associate duties and responsibilities. It’s ready to post on online job boards to help you attract and hire qualified salespeople who’ll achieve your sales quotas and improve your customer service experience.
Sales Associate responsibilities include:
- Excellent sales service to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through
- “Go the extra mile” to drive sales
- Welcoming customers to the store and answering their queries
We are looking for a result-driven retail Sales Associate to be responsible for all sales job duties, from generating leads to closing sales.
What is a Sales Associate – What does he/she do?
Sales Associate duties and responsibilities include working closely with customers to determine their needs, answer their questions about your products and recommend the right solutions. You should also be able to promptly resolve customer complaints and ensure maximum client satisfaction. To be successful as a Sales Associate, you should stay up-to-date with product features and maintain our store’s visual appearance in high standards.
Ultimately, the duties of a Sales Associate are to achieve excellent customer service, while consistently meeting the store’s sales goals.
- Ensure high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service
- Assess customers needs and provide assistance and information on product features
- Welcome customers to the store and answer their queries
- Follow and achieve department’s sales goals on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
- “Go the extra mile” to drive sales
- Maintain in-stock and presentable condition assigned areas
- Actively seek out customers in store
- Remain knowledgeable on products offered and discuss available options
- Process POS (point of sale) purchases
- Cross sell products
- Handle returns of merchandise
- Team up with co-workers to ensure proper customer service
- Build productive trust relationships with customers
- Comply with inventory control procedures
- Suggest ways to improve sales (e.g. planning marketing activities, changing the store’s design)
Requirements and skills
Sales Associate skills
- Proven work experience as a Retail Sales Associate, Sales Representative or similar role
- Basic understanding of sales principles and customer service practices
- Proficiency in English
- Basic Math skills
- Working knowledge of customer and market dynamics and requirements
- Track record of over-achieving sales quota
- Hands-on experience with POS transactions
- Familiarity with inventory procedures
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- A friendly and energetic personality with customer service focus
- Ability to perform under pressure and address complaints in a timely manner
- Availability to work flexible shifts
- High school degree; BS degree in Marketing or related field would be a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Sales Associate do?
A Sales Associate is responsible for providing the best possible service to every customer. They will work closely with customers to determine their needs and answer any questions they may have about the products and services their company offers.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sales Associate?
A Sales Associate is responsible for helping customers find their perfect solution and get the most out of whatever what’s available for them. They work closely with clients to decide which product will work best to meet all their needs by answering any questions or concerns along this journey. They will also ensure maximum customer satisfaction by handling complaints quickly and efficiently.
What makes a good Sales Associate?
A good Sales Associate will be empathic toward the customer’s needs and concerns. They will have deep knowledge and enthusiasm for the company's products. They also possess the ability to think quickly to provide creative solutions to issues. Cash handling and register skills may also be required.
Who does a Sales Associate work with?
A Sales Associate will work directly with a Shift Supervisor and Store Manager.
Hiring Sales Associate job description
Post this Sales Associate job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.