Use this Barista job description template to attract qualified candidates for your food establishment’s needs.
Barista responsibilities include:
- Greeting customers as they enter
- Providing customers with drink menus and answering their questions regarding ingredients
- Taking orders while paying attention to details (e.g. preferences of coffee blend, dairy and sugar ratios)
We are looking for a Barista to prepare and serve hot and cold beverages, including various types of coffee and tea.
Barista responsibilities include educating customers on our drinks menu, making recommendations based on their preferences, up-selling special items and taking orders. To be successful in this role, you should have customer service skills and knowledge of how brewing equipment operates. You should also be able to work various shifts. Note: this position’s compensation includes salary and tips.
Ultimately, you’ll ensure an excellent drinking experience for our guests.
- Greet customers as they enter
- Give customers drink menus and answer their questions regarding ingredients
- Take orders while paying attention to details (e.g. preferences of coffee blend, dairy and sugar ratios)
- Prepare beverages following recipes
- Serve beverages and prepared food, like cookies, pastries and muffins
- Receive and process payments (cash and credit cards)
- Keep the bar area clean
- Maintain stock of clean mugs and plates
- Check if brewing equipment operates properly and report any maintenance needs
- Comply with health and safety regulations
- Communicate customer feedback to managers and recommend new menu items
Requirements and skills
- Previous work experience as a Barista or Waiter/Waitress
- Hands-on experience with brewing equipment
- Knowledge of sanitation regulations
- Flexibility to work various shifts
- Basic math skills
- Ability to gauge customers’ preferences
- Excellent communication skills
- High school diploma; relevant training is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Barista do?
A Barista warmly welcomes customers into their establishment. They create and serve hot or cold beverages, often tailored to the customer’s preferences. They are responsible for taking customer orders and payments. They also clean and sanitize their work areas, seating areas and equipment/tools.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Barista?
A Barista welcomes customers and makes and serves beverages. They can also handle pastries, sandwiches and other foods. A Barista has to follow specific recipes and preparation techniques for a number of menu items. They operate cash registers and credit/debit machines and are expected to keep a clean and well-stocked workspace.
What makes a good Barista?
A successful Barista has good attention to detail with great communication skills. They should be able to handle food properly and memorize ingredients while also making changes when asked by customers. Their memory skills should be sharp as this will add efficiency to a customer’s experience, enhancing a Barista’s customer service skills.
Who does a Barista work with?
A Barista’s ultimate goal is to create a pleasing experience for customers while fulfilling drink and food orders. Therefore, they often collaborate with the Store Manager to ensure customer satisfaction while increasing revenue for their establishment.